You will submit all materials to Graduate and International Admissions Center (GIAC) via their online application process:
- the ApplyTexas online application for graduate study, and the application fee. Do this first, and do this early, as access to uploading other materials depends on this being processed, which can take up to a couple of days!
- GRE Scores*
- 3 Letters of Reference
- a writing sample
- Statement of Purpose (also called a Personal Statement)
* International students whose native language is not English must also submit scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). International applicants who hold a bachelor’s degree from a U.S. institution or from an institution in another English-only speaking country will receive a waiver of the TOEFL or IELTS. The requirement will not be waived for those who earned only their master’s degree from a U.S. institution or from an institution in another English-only speaking country. Additional information is HERE.
For help, call the GIAC offices at 512-475-7391.
Information you will need to know to complete the application:
- Our MFA program is called WRITING (MFA – MICHENER CENTER). In the GIAC table of Areas of Study listed here, we are at the very bottom, under INTERCOLLEGIAL PROGRAMS. Our MFA is not affiliated with English, which has a separate program calling itself “Creative Writing/New Writers Project.”
What you will submit to MCW via email
- an MCW coversheet. Download it from our website and fill it out and return via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a subject line formatted exactly as follows: COVERSHEET: Last name, First name (Primary field). Example: COVERSHEET: Hemingway, Ernest (Fiction)
Decisions are generally made by early March and admitted and wait-listed candidates are contacted immediately by email or phone by MCW staff.
Applicants who are not offered admission will have their application status posted electronically by GIAC. Please note that this may be delayed due to items GIAC considers still missing from the file (such as late GRE scores or missing or as yet unevaluated transcripts) but the MCW will have already made a final decision based on the uploaded writing sample.