Quick Facts on Jason R. Dorsey
- Often referred to as The Gen Y Guy™, Jason Ryan Dorsey, 29, is a former UT student who is now a bestselling author, acclaimed speaker, and award-winning entrepreneur. His focus is teaching business executives how to attract, retain, and develop their Gen Y employees.
- Doesn’t fit in during high school; a teacher helps him to leave his small town behind and start college early. Jason attends summer college programs in Florida (where he studies medicine) and Israel (where he studies archeology) before enrolling full-time at a college in New York. While in New York, Jason discovers he has a talent for helping his peers from difficult backgrounds succeed academically.
- Transfers to The University of Texas at Austin Business Honors Program at the McCombs School of Business; becomes a junior at age 18. A guest speaker at the McCombs School suggests to Jason that he write a book revealing how he positioned himself for great job options, attracted respected mentors, and built an influential network by age 18.
- Taking a major risk, Jason writes and self-publishes “Graduate to Your Perfect Job.” The how-to book includes a diagram on how to tie a tie. After publishing the book himself, Jason celebrates his 19th birthday sleeping on the floor of a garage apartment $50,000 in debt.
- Media outlets eventually feature his story and mission to help Gen Y transition into the workplace. He starts to receive requests to speak at conferences for business and education leaders. By age 20, Jason is keynoting high-profile events alongside Colin Powell and Barbara Bush. “Graduate to Your Perfect Job” becomes a national bestseller, supplemental course in 1,650 schools and colleges, and ten years later is estimated to have helped 100,000 Gen Yers enter the workforce.
- In recognition of his business achievements, Jason wins the Austin Under 40 Entrepreneur of the Year Award at age 25.
- Building on his firsthand experience speaking to 350,000 Gen Yers, Jason becomes known as The Gen Y Guy. He is featured as a Gen Y expert on media outlets such as NBC’s Today Show, ABC’s The View, 20/20, Fortune Magazine, and 60 Minutes. At 28, Random House publishes his book, My Reality Check Bounced! The Gen Y Guide to Cashing-In on Your Real-world Dreams.
- Realizing that business leaders are struggling to attract, retain, and motivate their Gen Y employees, Jason develops a process and specific strategies for bridging this generational divide in the workplace. The impact of his message leads him to keynote events across the US and as far away as India. He has now delivered over 1,800 keynotes to audiences as large as 13,500.