Handbook of Business Procedures
May 24, 2011
May 24, 2011
Financial Accounting Services
2.2.5. AUXILIARY FUNDS—29-ACCOUNTS
Auxiliary funds account for activities related to entities that have been specifically designed as auxiliary enterprises, which exist primarily to provide goods and services to students, faculty, staff, and the general public. Auxiliary funds are affiliated with operations that are not directly part of the academic and research mission of the university.
Auxiliary enterprises at The University of Texas at Austin include, but are not limited to, the following: the Division of Housing and Food, Intercollegiate Athletics for Men and Women, University Unions, Parking and Transportation Services, University Health Services, and the AT&T Executive Education and Conference Center.
B. Source of Funds
Funding originates from various sources, including fees charged for the goods and services provided, which may include mandatory and optional student fees.
There are two types of auxiliary enterprise accounts, based on the revenue source.
Types of Auxiliary Enterprise Accounts
Centrally-Funded Accounts Centrally-funded accounts receive revenue from sources that include, but are not limited to, student fees and designated tuition. Some auxiliary enterprises also have centrally-funded accounts. Examples of centrally-funded accounts include student fee revenue, such as the Recreational Sports fees or Student Services Building fees. Non-centrally Funded Accounts Non-centrally funded accounts receive revenue from optional fees for goods and services. Examples of non-centrally funded accounts include revenue received by the Division of Housing and Food Service and Parking and Transportation Services. These accounts are fully burdened to recover costs and are self-supporting.
- Fund transfers to related 29-accounts are allowed within the same type of Auxiliary Enterprise account.
- Interfund transfers between 19-accounts and 29-accounts must be approved and processed by Financial Accounting Services.
- Interfund transfers between 29-accounts and 36-accounts should be approved by the account signer and processed by Plant Funds.
E. Rules and Restrictions
- Purchasing and payment procedures for local accounts of The University of Texas at Austin must be followed.
- Entertainment expenses may be allowed if the Entertainment and Official Occasions Expenditure Policy is followed. Student Fee accounts have special restrictions on entertainment expenses, as noted in the expenditure policy.
- Subscriptions are allowed.
- Individual subscriptions, club memberships, and professional dues are allowed, when benefit to the university can be shown.