February 12, 2013
February 12, 2013
7.7.14. PURCHASE OF VEHICLES
All vehicle purchases at The University of Texas at Austin require approval by Parking and Transportation Services, University Fleet Operations (UFO) before the Purchasing Office can process a requisition for this type of purchase. For more information, refer to the Purchasing & Disposing University Fleet Vehicles Web page. Examples of vehicles include:
- sports utility vehicles
- golf carts
Golf carts, carryalls, and trailers are considered vehicles. In general, if a conveyance has wheels and a Certificate of Origin/Title, the following purchase procedures apply.
B. Purchase Procedure
Departments must follow these steps prior to the purchase of any new vehicle, including golf carts, carryalls, and trailers:
- Go to the Parking and Transportation Services Forms & Policies Web page and complete a New Vehicle Purchase Request form. If the request is for any vehicle other than a golf cart, carryall, or trailer, the form must be signed by the vice president and chief financial officer.
- Send the completed form to UFO.
- Refer to 7.5. Solicitation Procedures - General Information to determine which requisition and
solicitation method to use. Create the appropriate requisition and include the following wording in the Remarks field:
The Form 130-U, the Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, and the Odometer Disclosure Statement, should all be made out to:
The University of Texas at Austin
PO Box 7546
Austin, TX 78713-7546
- Send supporting documentation to the Purchasing Office.
Prior to final approval of the requisition by the Purchasing Office, the fleet manager reviews the purchase requisition to determine whether the requested vehicle meets university guidelines for specifications, such as color and approved alternative fuel. Upon final approval by the Purchasing Office, a copy of the purchase order is sent to the vendor, the UFO, and the requesting department. For assistance with any questions about selecting a new vehicle or retiring an old vehicle, contact UFO at 512-471-4668 or email@example.com.
Note: The Purchasing Office will not final approve a requisition for a new vehicle purchase until UFO sends the completed Vehicle Purchase/Replacement Request form to the Purchasing Office.
C. Vehicle Delivery and Title Retention
All new university vehicles are delivered to the main campus automotive shop at 1500 Manor Rd., Bldg. FC6, Austin, TX, 78722, and this address is listed as the Ship to address on the approved university purchase order. A few remotely located departments, such as the Marine Science Institute or McDonald Observatory, may choose to have vehicles delivered directly to their locations or to the main campus.
The Bill to address is the department’s designated address for invoicing purposes.
The UFO maintains all vehicle title certificates for newly purchased and transferred vehicles, including transfers in (purchases of used vehicles) and transfers out (sales or donations of used vehicles).
- The Handbook of Business Procedures 16.4.1. Vehicle Title Transfers
- Parking and Transportation Services Forms & Policies Web page, New Vehicle Purchase Request form
- Vehicle Title Transfer Form: Contact UFO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts:
- Texas Association of School Boards BuyBoard