Handbook of Business Procedures
February 10, 2012
June 10, 2014
7.7.7. PURCHASES THAT DO NOT REQUIRE A PURCHASE ORDER
The following goods and services purchased for The University of Texas at Austin use do not require a purchase order:
- Regulated utilities
- Subscriptions to publications
- Cell phones and pagers1
- Cell phone and pager monthly service charges1
- Internet service providers (ISPs)1
- ISP monthly service charges1
- Professional memberships related to an employee’s work
- Exam fees
- Seminar registration fees
- Accreditation fees
- Exhibit booth fees
- Freight only - not associated with a purchase order
- Classified advertising3 or advertising in books, journals, and magazines
- Page charges for reprints
- Books on local funds that are ordered directly from the publisher
- Demurrage, or cylinder rental fees
- Items purchased for sole purpose of resale4
- Items purchased solely using funds collected for conferences, camps, or seminars4
- Subsequent invoices for periodic renewals, maintenance fees, and other charges associated with approved software license agreements (SLA). These charges may be paid on a *DEFINE VP2 document using the original SLA as supporting documentation.
1 If an instrument or service is purchased from a Department of Information Resources (DIR) Tex-AN
contract and the supplier requires a purchase order, a purchase order must be used and monthly service charges must
be paid using the *DEFINE VP1 document.
2 If a catering company requires a signature on a contractual agreement prior to providing the service, forward the documents to the business contracts administrator in the Business Contracts Office for review and processing.
3 Local newspapers prefer to charge a credit card or invoice a registered subscriber.
4 The procurement process should follow purchasing guidelines and use best value standards in selecting a supplier.