Handbook of Business Procedures
October 23, 2012
October 23, 2012
Records Management Services
20.4.1. DEPARTMENTAL RECORDS MANAGEMENT CONTACT (DRMC) RESPONSIBILITIES
The department or unit head of each department at The University of Texas at Austin must designate a departmental records management contact (DRMC) in the OHS Contact System. The DRMC has the responsibility to manage departmental records and apply university records management policy by implementing the following requirements:
- Attend required Records Management courses:
- DE 450: Records Management – Basic Training – Take once upon being designated DRMC
- DE 451: Records Management – Managing Departmental Records – Take once upon being designated DRMC
- DE 452: Records Management – Special Topics – Take annually, or as available
- Develop a records inventory, which is a list of departmental records created, used, and retained in the department. For more information, refer to 20.4.2. Records Inventory.
- Develop a records management plan. For more information, refer to 20.4.3. Records Management Plan.
- Review and dispose of departmental records through secure destruction, or transfer to archives in accordance with The University of Texas at Austin Records Retention Schedule (UTRRS) and with Records Management Services (RMS) policies and procedures. For more information, refer to 20.5. Disposition of Records – General Information.
- Provide information required by the university records management officer (RMO) to develop the UTRRS. This includes notifying the RMO of departmental records that are not listed in the UTRRS and responding to triennial recertification surveys.
- Coordinate communication between the department and RMS, including:
- Serve as a point of contact for records management announcements and information from RMS.
- Inform supervisors and staff of records management requirements and changes in policy.
- Send an email to RMS requesting that other staff with records management duties or oversight responsibilities be subscribed to the UT-Retention Mailing list.
For a list of additional resources to assist with DRMC responsibilities, refer to 20.1. Introduction and Resources.