Handbook of Business Procedures
October 23, 2012
December 16, 2013
Records Management Services
20.5.3. ARCHIVAL REVIEW/TRANSFER PROCEDURES
Archival review and transfer procedures apply to master records at The University of Texas at Austin or those retained on behalf of the university by a private contractor. Archival review and transfer requirements are listed in the top half of the Archival/Vital column of The University of Texas at Austin Records Retention Schedule (UTRRS). When archival review or transfer is required for a record that has met retention requirements, the following procedures must be used.
- The department must complete the Request to Dispose of Records Form and indicate which record series require archival review or transfer, based on the Archival Requirement for the series in The University of Texas at Austin Records Retention Schedule (UTRRS). Note: If a department has records that may have archival or historical value but the record series does not require archival review, contact Records Management Services (RMS). For example, if a staff member finds a thank you letter to a university professor from Lyndon B. Johnson dated 1954, the letter would have historical value. In that case, the department must contact RMS to request review by the university archivist.
- The department must send the completed form as an email attachment to email@example.com or fax it to RMS at 512-232-1492.
- RMS reviews the form, assigns a control number, and works with the department to resolve any discrepancies. RMS then forwards the form to the university archivist.
- The archivist contacts the department or RMS and arranges to review or transfer the records.
- If the records are transferred to the archives, the department must notify RMS within 5 business days of the transfer date.
- If the records are not accepted for transfer to the archives, the archivist approves destruction of the records
and returns the Request to Dispose of Records Form to RMS.
- RMS reviews and approves the Request to Dispose of Records Form.
- RMS sends a letter to the department authorizing the destruction of the records. The letter may include special instructions.
- Upon receiving the letter of authorization, the department must dispose of the master records in accordance with any instructions in the letter within 90 days. Contact RMS to request an extension of the authorization to dispose.
- The department must notify RMS within 5 business days when the records have been destroyed and must include the control number. The control number is printed in the letter of authorization and is in the format CRYY-XXX; the Y numbers reference the year the approval was granted, the XXX number is the sequential number of the request.