Office of Accounting
Inventory Modules Now OPEN!
*DEFINE command NU1, NVM module and the Inventory web portal has reopened for fiscal year 13-14!
If you are a self-tagger, please send all outstanding 12-13 tagging information to email@example.com
Please note there are changes to the designated controlled asset’s listing.
- Per the state comptroller removal of class code 208 printers from the controlled designated list. Printers must now be 5K and over to
warrant a barcode tag and be tracked as equipment in *DEFINE.
- Class code 219 consisting of smart phones, tablets and other handheld devices is now considered a controlled asset. Items with this
description and a cost of $500 to $4999.99 are tracked as inventory equipment and require a UT barcode tag. Shipping costs should be
included to determine if the asset meets the established thresholds.
These items meet the controlled class code 219 item description with a dollar value of $500 to $4999.99
- Android smartphone
- Windows smartphone
- Android Tablet
- Windows Tablet (Surface)
- BlackBerry smartphone
For more information contact the Office of Accounting Inventory Services section at 512-471-3838 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If your department will need a scanner to perform 13-14 Annual Physical inventory please email email@example.com to make arrangements.
FRMS Departmental Inventory Portal
The Departmental Inventory Portal, which is a subsystem of the Financial Resource Management System (FRMS), is available for departments to easily update inventory items: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/apps/frms/inventory/.
Departmental Inventory Portal Highlights
The Departmental Inventory Portal will provide a Web-based inventory item management system for departments, thus allowing departments to perform the following tasks:
- Mark items as found, missing, or unfound
- Easily update location, comments, responsible person, and other data fields
- Find and correct data issues, such as items that are missing location information or that have elements crossing unit ownership
- View inventory information about units, items, and number of items in a unit
- Perform mass updates of multiple inventory items for various fields, including status, location, and responsible person
- Download report data
For more information and to access available training videos on the FRMS Departmental Inventory portal please visit the FRMS Training Resources Web page.
- Report and reconcile inventory records and values to both the Annual Financial Report Schedules and the State Property Accounting record reports
- Maintain equipment inventory records on shared mainframe database
- Conduct and monitor the Annual Physical Inventory Cycle and audit those reports submitted by the university departments
- Locate and tag university equipment as it is purchased and received by departments
- Provide inventory information and reference resources to department personnel
Policy Guidelines Related to Property Management
Inventory policies have been incorporated into the Handbook of Business Procedures as Part 16—Inventory Control and Property Management:
- The University Property Accounting & Responsibility Guidelines document is Part 16.1 through Part 16.4.
- The Procedures for Inventory Control and Management of United States Government Property document is Part 16.5.
Inventory Transfers Document
CCART (Online NT1 document) is open and operational year-round for processing electronic transfer of equipment (NT1) documents. You will need to update your fiscal year within your authorizations in order to avoid the error message: Fiscal year closed for inventory work. See the Setting UT Direct Personal Authorizations video for help changing the fiscal year.
Manuals & Training Materials
- Physical Inventory Certification Form*
- 2013-14 Inventory Cycles
- Managing Inventory Contact Data
- Running an NVP Report*
- Assigning Inventory Object Codes* - New
- Capitalized vs. Controlled Object Codes
- Depreciation Calculation Template (Excel Format)
- Inventory Best Practices* - New
- Inventory Contact Guide* - New
- List of Controlled Items*
- List of Controlled and Capitalized Items*
- Self Tagging Template (Excel format)
- Equipment Located off Campus*
- Incoming - Property Transfer Receipt*- New
- Inventory Removal Request (Depreciation value does not need to be provided on the IRR form) **
- Non-Texas State Agency Incoming - Property Transfer Receipt*- New
- Outgoing - Property Transfer Receipt*- New
To check class times and locations, or to register, use the TxClass web application.The links below will take you to a detailed description of each class including prerequisites and handouts in PDF format. Please print the handouts prior to class and bring them with you.
* Note: Best viewed with Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0 or later. Earlier versions may result in incomplete rendering of information. A free update of Adobe Acrobat Reader may be obtained from Adobe.
**Note: This document requires that you be able to view Microsoft documents. Download a free Microsoft Viewer from Microsoft.