small horizontal black line
askus icon

Office of the Sr. Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Foreign Agreements

Programmatic approval is required if you are entering into a business contract with a foreign company, organization, or individual. Programmatic approval must be provided by your dean's office and from the Office of the Sr. Vice President for Legal Affairs. Programmatic approval signifies that the services and/or deliverables to be provided have been reviewed, and approval is provided for the university to proceed with formalizing the arrangements with an agreement.

Departmental Procedures for Requesting Programmatic Approval:

  1. Develop a letter/memorandum requesting programmatic approval. The request should contain the following information at a minimum:
    1. The vendor you are contracting with (name and address)
    2. A summary of the services and/or deliverables to be provided
    3. The country(ies) where services will be provided
    4. A summary of your department's history with this vendor, if any
    5. Indication of whether the vendor is privately owned or an agency of a foreign government*
    6. Any other information you believe is necessary or helpful
    7. A copy of the proposed agreement

  2. Route the request to your dean's office for programmatic approval.

  3. Route the request approved by your dean's office to Patricia Ohlendorf, V.P., Office of the V.P. for Legal Affairs, for legal affairs programmatic approval.

  4. Upon receipt of the required programmatic approvals, the agreement and programmatic approvals are submitted in accordance with the Procedures for Submitting Business Contracts to the Office of the V.P. and Chief Financial Officer for processing.

* If your agreement is with an agency of a foreign government, the agreement will require Board of Regents' approval. The agreement may not be signed before such approval is granted unless it contains an acceptable limitation such as the following statement: "This Agreement is not effective until approved by the Board of Regents of The University of Texas System." Adding the above sentence to the agreement allows the university to sign the agreement prior to the Board of Regents' approval. However, actual work/services cannot begin until the Board of Regents' approval is obtained.

Office of the Sr. VP/CFO Procedures for Agreements with an Agency of a Foreign Government

  1. Route the agreement to the UT System Office of General Counsel for review and approval as to the legal form prior to docketing for the UT System Board of Regents' approval.

  2. Route the agreement to the UT System Board of Regents for approval— Board of Regents' agenda dates and deadlines.