Essentials for Developmental Excellence
Essentials for Developmental Excellence is a highly customizable experience designed to support UT staff in meeting their professional development goals. This program is intended for employees seeking to:
- Increase their skills and competencies
- Grow in their current job
- Prepare for the future
The following course is a prerequisite for this certificate:
Introduction to Professional Development and CareerSmart (PN625) [EID required]
The Essentials for Developmental Excellence curriculum includes five content areas. Each content area encompasses a variety of competencies on which staff may focus. View a list of the competencies and their definitions [opens in a new browser window/tab; UT EID required].
- Honing Your Business Sense – understanding the business of UT
- Utilizing Technology – mastering the tools that support our work
- Getting Things Done – organizing the work
- Finding Your Niche & Making the Most of It – claiming your part of the 40 Acres
- Interacting with People – building relationships with peers, bosses, and customers
You will need to complete 15 experiences to earn this certificate: two in each subject area and five in areas of your choice. You have a variety of options to fulfill these requirements.
- Attend a class, workshop, or webinar. These can be on- or off-campus.
- Read a book or journal, or follow a blog or twitter feed over time.
- Work with a mentor, or serve as a mentor to someone else.
- Learn on the job through a developmental experience. This is the best way to master new skills!
After each experience, reflect on what you did, what you learned and how you applied it through a short online Activity Survey [external site; opens in new broswer window/tab].
Administrative Excellence Specialization
Individuals wishing to earn the Administrative Excellence specialization for this certificate will need to include three required activities as part of their 15 experiences:
- PN 624 – Forty Tips from iForty (Finding Your Niche & Making the Most of It)
- CW 402 – Compliance and Ethics for Administrative Professionals (Interacting with People)
- Mastery of Microsoft Office Suite – demonstrated via testing at the Human Resources Service Center (individuals must complete the Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Database test modules) or by obtaining Microsoft Office Specialist certification (Utilizing Technology)