:: CBE/EA and Courses

Course Examinations

Supervision

All courses require proctored exams. If you are in or near the Austin area, you may take your exam in the K-16 Education Testing Center, where a nonrefundable proctoring fee per exam is required. Any proctoring fees charged at alternate sites are the responsibility of the student.

High school students may be proctored in their own schools by a counselor, registrar, principal, or superintendent. Education officers at military installations or at correctional facilities may also supervise exams. Please contact us to discuss alternate testing site options and requirements (512-232-5000 or 888-232-4723).

All supervisors outside an official testing center must be approved in advance by the K-16 Education Testing Center. You must request approval in writing (mail requests to Exam Requests, K-16 Education Center, P.O. Box 7700, Austin, TX 78713-7700 or by e-mail at testingcenter@austin.utexas.edu). In order for us to grant approval, we need your course information and the proposed supervisor’s name, official title, institutional address, telephone number, fax number, and e-mail address (if available).

Final Exam Request/Time Constraints

Course Exam

Exam must be taken within the course enrollment time period.

Please be advised that once the exam has been taken, it will generally take two weeks to grade the exam and report the grade to your school.

Students can request the final examination when all course assignments have been turned in and grades have been awarded for 70 percent of the assignments. “Incomplete” and “Redo” will not count as lessons submitted. The remaining 30% will be graded “as is” once the final is taken.

For CD-based and online courses, order the exam by going to the “Exam” tab or link on your course.

If you are taking the test at our Testing Center, exam requests must be received in writing at least two business days prior to testing. (Note: Our offices are closed during University of Texas at Austin holidays.)

Student Identification

Students must present photo identification with signature, such as a driver’s license, a school photo ID, a state-issued photo ID, or a passport, at the site at the time of testing.

Allowed Materials

Check the label on your exam confirmation postcard or the exam section of your study guide or CD-ROM (for CD-based courses) to see if there are any materials you are allowed to bring with you when you take the exam. If you have any questions, please call our staff at the Testing Center (512-232-5000 or 888-232-4723).

Request to Review Completed Exam

If you would like to review your completed exam, you may review it at the K-16 Education Testing Center or your alternate-testing site for up to one year after your exam date. After a year, the exam will be destroyed.

CBEs/EAs

Exams must be taken within 60 days of the exam request.

Re-processing / Re-sending Exams

High School / College Course Exams

If you do not take your exam within the allowed 30 day time frame, you will be charged a re-processing fee (see Miscellaneous Fees).

If you change your testing site, the exam will be returned to the K-16 Education Testing Center. The exam must be taken before your course enrollment period ends. If you subsequently request that we send the exam again within your original enrollment period, you will be charged a nonrefundable fee (see Miscellaneous Fees).

CBEs/EAs

If you do not take your exam within the allowed 60 day time frame, or if you change your testing site, the exam will be returned to the K-16 Education Testing Center.

If you subsequently request that we send the exam again within your original enrollment period, you will be charged a nonrefundable fee (see Miscellaneous Fees).

Final Exam Re-exam Policy

High school students must make a grade of 70 or better on the final exam in order to pass the course.

High school students who fail the exam are eligible for reexamination and will receive a reexamination application with the first notification of a failing grade. Re-examination must occur within 30 days of notification (students must have time remaining in their course). There is a nonrefundable fee for re-examination (see Miscellaneous Fees).

Note: On re-exams, the actual grade posted is the final exam grade if the student fails the exam (no lesson grades are averaged in). If the student passes the re-exam, then the re-exam grade and the assignment grades are averaged to come up with the final course grade.

We reserve the right to require students to retake an exam at our sole discretion.

top of page