Students acquire knowledge about movement and skills that provide the foundation for enjoyment, continued social development through physical activity, and access to a physically active lifestyle. The student exhibits a physically active lifestyle and understands the relationship between physical activity and health throughout the lifespan. Students in Individual Sports are expected to participate in a wide range of sports that can be pursued for a lifetime. The continued development of health-related fitness and the selection of individual sport activities that are enjoyable is a major objective of this course. In this course, students will participate in Bowling and Golf. (Note: This course requires physical exertion equal to that of the regular physical education class. Students who have any doubt as to their physical condition should consult a physician before attempting this course.)
Golf shoes and glove.
Objectives. The objectives for each lesson will help
you focus your efforts. They indicate the concepts and skills you must
understand or master when you complete the lesson.
Reading Assignments. Each lesson specifies the selections that must be read.
Introduction. The Introduction section of each lesson provides key terms and concepts that give you background for the lesson.
Self-Assessment Activities. These activities help to build your knowledge and skills and to identify your specific strengths and weaknesses. Some activities direct you to Internet sites with supplemental material for the lesson. All activities prepare you for the graded assignments and for mastering course materials.
Graded Assignments. Each assignment provides information about how your work will be assessed and how credit will be given for your responses. Most assignments will be submitted online and graded by your instructor. Some assignments will be computer-graded. The average of your assignments counts as 75 percent of your course grade. The Final Examination counts as the other 25 percent.You can apply to take the Final Exam after 100 percent of your graded assignments have been submitted, and at least 70 percent have been graded and returned to you.
The final examination is comprehensive; it covers the material from all of the lessons. To pass the course, you must receive a grade of 70 percent or better.
Format: Multiple-choice, short answer.
Time Allowed: 3 hours
Materials Allowed: None
Total Number of Lessons: 12
Total Number of Activities: 32
Total Number of Graded Assignments: 12
Instructor Graded: 12
Unit 1: Components of Fitness
Lesson 1: Components of Fitness
Activity 1: Evaluating Your Fitness Level
Activity 2: Selecting Exercises
Unit 2: Bowling
Lesson 1: Introduction to Bowling
Activity 1: The Sport of Bowling
Activity 2: The Bowling Grip
Activity 3: Mind-Set and Motor Learning
Lesson 2: Technique: The Stance, Approach, and the Swing
Activity 4: Beginning the Approach with a Solid Stance
Activity 5: Moving Our Feet with Timing and Efficiency
Activity 6: Swinging for Power and Accuracy
Lesson 3: Developing Balance, Timing, and an Effective Release
Activity 7: Finishing the Approach in Balance
Activity 8: Coordinating the Steps and the Swing
Activity 9: Creating an Effective Release
Lesson 4: Adjustments for Success and Implementing the Strike and Spare Systems
Activity 10: Adjusting the Stance, Swing, and Release
Activity 11: Adjusting the Line to the Strike Pocket
Activity 12: Using a Spare–Shooting System
Lesson 5: Adjusting to Lane Conditions and Competitive Bowling
Activity 13: Adjusting to Lane Conditions
Activity 14: Bowling Competitively
Unit 3: Golf
Lesson 1: The Rules of the Game and Putting
Activity 1: Introduction to Golf
Activity 2: Putting – Practice Session
Lesson 2: The Short Game
Activity 3: Setting up for the Shot
Activity 4: Chipping to the Green
Activity 5: Pitching from Farther Away
Lesson 3: The Golf Swing
Activity 6: Taking a Full Swing
Activity 7: Conclusion
Lesson 4: Uneven Lies, Escaping the Bunker, and Hitting Shots from the Rough
Activity 8: Overcoming a Difficult Lie
Activity 9: Escaping the Bunker
Activity 10: Hitting Shots from the Rough
Lesson 5: Selecting Clubs, Course Management, and Mental Control
Activity 11: Selecting the Right Club
Activity 12: Managing the Course
Activity 13: Maintaining Focus on the Course
Activity 14: Closing in on Par
Activity 15: Play 18 Holes of Golf
Unit 4: Post–Fitness
Lesson 1: Post–Fitness
Activity 1: Re–evaluating Your Fitness Levels