:: Training Courses
Fundamentals of Petroleum Measurement (first of three levels)
This course is the first in a three course series on Petroleum Measurement.
Provides fundamentals in manual tank gauging, principles of operation of the primary dynamic meters, and a base knowledge on meter proving, factor calculation, and meter/tank ticket calculations. Uses the API Manual of Petroleum Measurement Standards and the ASTM Test Methods as the basis for instruction.
Basic Petroleum Measurement is recommended as a prerequisite to Advanced and Intermediate Petroleum Measurement.
Length: 4.5 days
Participants receive instruction in:
- Static measurement
- Types of tanks
- Fundamentals of tank calibration by the manual strapping method
- Lease tanks: level gauging, temperature determination, free water determination, and manual sampling
- Properties of petroleum
- Density and gravity determination
- S&W determination by centrifuge
- Lease tank run ticket calculations
- Dynamic measurement
- Overview of LACT/ACT installations
- Introduction to automatic sampling; the flow metering theory; the operation of PD, turbine, Coriolis and ultrasonic meters; meter provers, meter proving, and prover calibration; and the calculations of meter factors and tickets
- Oil loss control
- Introduction to basic principles
Included with Course:
Personnel with a basic knowledge of the oil & gas business, especially pipeline, refining and production operations. Measurement operators, technicians, and engineers who would like to get a more firm foundation and/or are new (6 months or less) to liquid volume measurement; and those who witness or audit measurement techniques.
To enroll click the Add to Cart button at the bottom of this page next to the class date you wish to enroll for.
Please note: To register multiple individuals for a single class or register for a class by filling out a registration form (without using the shopping cart), please click here. On this webpage link, you will find registration forms, information on how to register for a class using forms, contact information, maps and directions, professional credits, refunds and cancellations.
Download a brochure for our Liquid Petroleum Measurement Courses (PDF–1 MB).
- Advanced Petroleum Measurement (third of three levels)
- Intermediate Petroleum Measurement (second of three levels)