:: Training Courses
Valves and Actuators (Operation and Maintenance)
This course may assist in meeting requirements for DOT Operator Certification.
Download a brochure for our Valves Course (PDF–1.4 MB).
To enroll click the Add to Cart button at the bottom of this page next to the class date you wish to enroll for.
Please note: To register multiple individuals for a single class or register for a class by filling out a registration form (without using the shopping cart), please click here. On this webpage link, you will find registration forms, information on how to register for a class using forms, contact information, maps and directions, professional credits, refunds and cancellations.
Provides basic instruction for the most common pipeline valves and actuators used on pipelines. Participants visit manufacturing facilities to see firsthand how valves and actuators are made. Field trips serve as a learning experience in the assembly and disassembly of valves and actuators, whenever possible. Participants receive handouts and other materials. This course is recommended for personnel involved in liquid pipeline operation and maintenance.
Length: 4.5 days
Participants receive instruction in:
- Introduction to petroleum valves
- Various types of valves
- Gate, expanding gate, plug, ball, check, double block and bleed, etc.
- Introduction to actuators
- Basic actuators and actuator operation
- Sizing actuators (overview)
- Basic mechanical operation
- Control components and configurations
- Maintaining actuators safely
- Slab gate valve disassembly, assembly, and maintenance review
- Expanding gate valve maintenance review
- Valve maintenance
- Valve types and functioning
- Field lubricants
Pipeline maintenance technicians