Both Adobe Flash Player® 9 or above (http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html) and Adobe Reader® 8 or Adobe Acrobat Pro® 8 (http://www.adobe.com/) are required to access/read the e-Books and the website. Both Adobe Flash Player® 9 or above and Adobe Reader® 8 are free to download.
PETEX e-Books are not compatible with mobile devices (such as iPad®, iPhone®, Kindle®, or Android™ devices) at this time.
PETEX e-Books can be accessed online 24/7—Internet connectivity required. They can also be downloaded on your desktop/laptop for offline access for 90 days at a time—no Internet connectivity required. This 90-day offline access to the e-Books can be renewed throughout the duration of license (5 years) as long as you connect to the Internet at any time after the 90-day offline access expires.
Here is a quick link to the PETEX e-Book Library: https://cee-adobe.austin.utexas.edu/Catalog/CustomerPortal.html
If you have any problems in accessing the e-Books or creating a log-in account, please refer to the FAQs section of this document, which has answers to most common questions about accessing the e-Books.
If you still have any questions, issues, or concerns with your order, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-687-4132 or to send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any technical difficulties with an e-Book or with access to an e-Book, please send an email to email@example.com.
How to Access the e-Books
If you are a first-time PETEX customer:
|After you purchase the e-Book(s), you will receive two (2) emails from PETEX; please check your junk or spam folder if you do not receive these emails.|
- The first email will help you create an access account.
- The email will have a (blue) link that you will click to create your password.
- Your email address will be used to access your e-Books. This is the email address you used when purchasing your e-Book(s) and it cannot be changed. (See screenshot 1)
- The first and last name you used to set up the account will also remain the same.
- You will need to choose one security question and enter one answer to that question. (See Screenshot 1)
- Create a password that you can remember. (See Screenshot 1)
- Select the Submit button.
- A pop-up window should appear that says “You will receive an email shortly to activate your account.”
Accessing Your e-Book Library
Shortly after you create the account by pressing the Submit button in the previous step, you will receive a second email from PETEX.
- This email will have a link to your personal e-Book library, where all the e-Books you have purchased from PETEX will be listed for easy access. For your convenience, here is that link: https://cee-adobe.austin.utexas.edu/Catalog/CustomerPortal.html
- You will need to use your email address and your password to access the e-Books you have purchased. (See screenshot 2)
- Make sure to click on the Login button; just tapping the Enter key may not work in some cases or it may result in an error message
- Refer to the FAQ section below, Tip #1 to reset your password.
If you are an existing PETEX customer and have purchased e-Books in the past:
You will receive an email confirmation of your order.
You will use your email address and the password you had previously created when you purchased your first e-Book from PETEX. If you do not remember the password, refer to the FAQ section below, Tip #1 to reset your password.
Accessing the e-Book:
- To View your e-Books you can click “Open,” which will open the e-Book in another Web browser window for online viewing, or you may click “Download,” which will download the e-book to your computer for offline viewing for up to 90 days at a time.
- If the e-Book library has more than six titles, you will have to use the scroll bar on the side to see the rest of the titles. Below is screenshot 3 of the library:
- Important: Whether you choose Open or Download, a pop up window will appear titled “Log in to Restricted Document.” The document is referring to the e-Book.
- This pop up window is to inform you to log in a second time using your e-Book email address and your password. You will not be able to open the e-Book without this second login. Here is screenshot 4 of that pop up window:
- You can check the box that says: Remember me on this computer. Click the OK button to so your computer remembers the log-in information for future access without the need for a second log-in.
- Should you decide to click “Download”; a second popup window will appear titled “View secure docs offline?” Clicking “Yes” will allow a 90-day offline viewing period for your e-Book when are you are not connected to the Internet. Below is screenshot 5 of that pop up window:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) and Troubleshooting Tips
Answers to most common problems and issues are listed below. If your specific issue is not addressed, please do not hesitate to contact PETEX Technical Support, at 800-687-7839 / option 2.
1) I have forgotten my password.
If you do not remember your password, please click the “Forgot your password” link above the “Login” button. (See Screenshot 2.) This action will make a pop-up window appear. In that window, you will need to enter your email address (the one assigned to your e-Book access).
An email will be sent to you with another blue link that will read “Click here to change your password.”
On clicking this link, the security question you had previously chosen should appear. Enter your answer and then click the Verify button.
Another window will pop up that will allow you to enter a new password and confirm. Click the Change password button.
A pop up window should appear that says “Password changed.” Click the OK button and you will be directed back to the Customer Portal webpage. Enter your email address and new password to access your e-Book.
2) I am unable to open the links sent to me in the emails.
Flash Player 9 or a later version needs to be installed. Check if you have Flash installed on your computer using this website: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
This same website will also tell you what version of Flash player you have and help you upgrade if need be. This is a free application: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html
3) The e-Book does not seem to open.
Try these steps first:
Make sure you have Adobe Reader or Adobe Reader Pro 8 or above. If you are unsure of the version installed on your computer, open the Adobe Reader or Adobe Pro application and click on Help>About (in the menu bar at the top).
The latest free version of Adobe Reader can be downloaded here: http://www.adobe.com/
If the previous steps show that you have the Adobe Reader 8 or above, try these steps next:
The pop up window titled “Log in to Restricted Document” (that requires you to log in a second time) may be hidden behind other windows. Please make sure you can see this window so you can log in. (See Screenshot 4 above)
Depending on the size of the e-Book, it may still be downloading. Please wait for the entire e-Book to download, which can take 15 to 45 minutes, depending on the Internet download speed of your connection and the speed of your computer.
4) The document will not open on my Apple Mac® computer.
Most Macs automatically default to Preview in order to view PDFs. Preview will not open up our e-Books.
Please make sure to set PETEX e-Books to open with Adobe Reader. You can download Adobe Reader for Mac here: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?platform=macintosh&product=10
Once the e-Book is downloaded to the computer, single-click a PDF file you wish to open or any PDF file in general while holding the Control (Ctrl) key. Then select “Open With” from the menu you have opened and choose Adobe Reader.
5) I am trying to view these e-Books on my smart phone or tablets.
We currently do not support viewing our e-Books on devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Android phones, or Android tablets. (Coming soon: Please watch for an announcement for availability of e-Books on tablet devices.)
6) I cannot log in to the Customer Portal webpage to retrieve my e-Books.
If you are using Internet Explorer®, try a different browser (Firefox®, Chrome™, etc.).
If using Firefox, try entering your email and password again and make sure you actually click on the Login button. Sometimes, hitting the Enter key causes errors.
Make sure your Caps Lock key is not on.
Reset your password. (You may not remember the correct password.) See Tip # 1.
7) Can I download an e-Book to more than one computer?
YES! Log in to the e-Book library website on another computer and download the e-Book to your desktop.
You will need to choose “Open” or “Download” and log in a second time.
Downloading will ask you whether you want the documents offline.
If you click “Yes” in the Offline pop up window, the e-Book on that computer can be accessed offline for 90 days. A pop-up message may occur about being unable to connect to the Adobe server; you can ignore that message and close this pop up box. The e-Book should open without an issue.
8) I am having trouble printing and copying content from the e-Book.
PETEX does not permit printing or copying of its e-Book content under the terms of license that you agreed to when you purchased the e-Book.