Informal Classes launches new programs for fall 2013
8/13/2013The Informal Classes program is proud to announce a line-up of over 270 courses for the fall 2013 semester, including returning favorites and several new offerings. Participants can expand their expertise and knowledge on such topics and activities as horseback riding and photography, along with such first-time courses as wilderness survival and basic ballet for adults.
Informal Classes hosts a fall semester “kick-off” event on August 17 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.at Kick Butt Coffee, 5775 Airport Boulevard, Austin, Texas. The entire Austin community is invited to come out and enjoy free food and live performances from Informal Classes instructors in African Hand Drumming, Belly Dancing and Salsa Dancing. Attendees will also have opportunities to win prizes, discounts on course registrations and even receive immediate instruction on a variety of topics. Over 40 Informal Classes instructors are expected to be on hand to meet prospective students.
“We, at Informal Classes, are so proud to be an Austin tradition where people of all ages and backgrounds come to explore, achieve and play,” says Pat Watson, director of the Thompson Conference Center and the Informal Classes program. “We offer so many valuable opportunities to discover new talents or explore paths not taken in either your career or leisure time. I look forward to welcoming all past, current and future Informal Classes participants to our kick-off event at Kick Butt Coffee on August 17.”
Fall 2013 registration is now open online. Student can find classes to help them learn basic golf or horseback riding, or to create their own art masterpieces in several drawing, watercolor, or oil painting classes, or to enjoy a fitness class like boxing, kayaking or yoga. A small sample of brand new classes for fall 2013 includes:
- “Hip Hop Basics" Have fun while learning the latest hip-hop moves in this beginning dance class conducted in a non-intimidating atmosphere. You’ll be dancing like a pro before you know it!
- "Oil Portraiture” Learn to capture a likeness and control oil paints in the same class. Working with a model, use basic frames and forms to draw and complete a portrait in each class.
- "Breathe Better, Live Better” Discover how breathing is linked to emotions, physiological responses, mental state and your body. You will also learn how to breathe more effectively, and to release stress. Treatment for allergies is also discussed.
- "Howl at the Moon: Werewolves in Cinema” Trace the origins of the werewolf myth and how Hollywood has showcased the “beast within us all” to generations of moviegoers.
- "Introduction to the Stock Market” Take a quick course to learn what the stock market is, how it works (and doesn’t work) and what you can expect if you decide to invest in stocks.
Please visit the Informal Classes website to learn more about the full roster of classes available.
Additional information about the Kick Off event is available online.