:: 2012 AP* Summer Institutes at UT Austin
AP Biology for AP Teachers Combined
This institute is completely full. UT Austin cannot accept further registrations at this time.
This is an exciting time to be teaching AP Biology. We are about to launch a new curriculum framework that will center upon inquiry labs and teaching methods. In preparation for the new coursework, participating teachers will receive help in the following areas:
- Explaining the course and exam changes, including review of the course and exam; developing familiarity with the curriculum framework; and sample exam items.
- Planning for the audit, including discussing sample syllabi and crafting an original syllabus.
- An introduction to Instructional Design, summative assessments and formative assessments.
- Inquiry-based teaching practices, including how inquiry works in the daily classroom experience, as well as how to incorporate inquiry-based labs into the classroom.
- A Review of AP Biology Investigative Labs: An Inquiry-Based Approach.
- Hands-on laboratory work with the emphasis on inquiry.
Participants are asked to bring the following to this workshop:
- a best practice (30 copies) to share with colleagues
Lead Consultant: Joan Rasmussen
Joan has been involved with the AP Biology program for 20 years – first and foremost as an AP Biology teacher. She finds the course to be filled with opportunities for creativity for herself and her students. She has conducted many workshops and Summer Institutes for the College Board and universities throughout the US. Joan was a member of the AP Biology (Test) Development Committee for the College Board and ETS from 1999-2003. For about ten days in June, you will usually find Joan at the free response grading sessions for the AP Biology exams where she has been an exam Reader, Table Leader and Question Leader for the AP Biology since 1992. She is the recipient of the Siemen’s Excellence in Science Teaching Award and the Service Award from the Biology Teachers’ Association of New Jersey.
Participants should be aware there is a 20 minute walk from Lot 40 to the classroom location in the Biomedical Engineering Building (BME) or you may take the 40 Acres Shuttle.
* Trademark Notice: College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP, and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.