:: 2015 AP* Summer Institutes at UT Austin
Pre-AP High School Math
This Pre-AP High School Mathematics For New and Experienced Pre-AP Teachers workshop will examine the level of rigor and skills needed to prepare students for success in AP courses. We will make connections between Pre-AP mathematics and AP Calculus and Statistics, look at algebra skills needed for success in calculus, and discuss numerous strategies for strengthening Pre-AP programs.
Participants will learn to:
- Identify and enhance the level of rigor on assignments, assessments, and EOC style questions
- Deepen the understanding of Pre-AP mathematics by applying the Rule of Four in lesson delivery and assessment
- Enhance Pre-AP mathematics content by previewing the calculus ideas of limit, rate, accumulation, and optimization at the Pre-AP level
- Create AP-style assessments
Participants should bring:
- A favorite lesson to share. Teachers will share lessons with other workshop participants.
- A graphing calculator (if available).
- Textbooks using next year.
Lead Consultant: Robert Cole
Robert Cole has presented at numerous APSIs and College Board One-Day, Two-Day and Mathematics Vertical Teams workshops. A veteran of over 30 years in the public schools, Robert has taught everything from 7th grade math to calculus, including below-level, on-level, Pre-AP, G/T and AP classes. His teaching assignments at Hill Country Christian School of Austin and Odyssey School in Austin include Algebra, Geometry, Algebra 2, Precalculus and AP Calculus AB.
* Trademark Notice: College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP, and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.
- Rigor: The Key to Success in Pre-AP
- The Rule of Four: Connections that deepen meaning
- Limits for courses prior to calculus
- The Importance of “e” and ln x
- Rate of Change
- Parametric Equations and Simulating Motion
- Rational Functions
- Algebra Skills Needed for Calculus
- Homework in Pre-AP
- Data Collection (CBR2)
- Mathematics Internet Sites
- Vertical Teams
- Assessment: Testing AP Style in Pre-AP Classes
- Modifying/Enhancing EOC Style Questions
- Examination of the Pre-AP Skills Found in the AP Calculus Exam