:: 2012 AP* Summer Institutes at UT Austin
Pre-AP High School Math: Algebra II and Precalculus Focus
This institute is full. We are no longer accepting registrations.
Topics will include the following:
- Use of a multi-representational approach to examine problems algebraically, graphically, numerically and verbally
- Use of technology to reinforce these relationships, to experiment and to develop concepts
- Examination of topics covered in both the Algebra II and PreCalculus classroom such as transformations, inverses, and various other aspects of functional analysis
- Improving assessments to better prepare students for AP mathematics
- Sharing best practices and designing Pre-AP problems and lessons in subject-area breakout sessions
- Exploring online resources in a lab setting
- Classroom-based activities that tie together multiple concepts
What participants should bring:
* Laptop computer
* Notepad or spiral notebook
* Graphing calculator
* 30 copies of a favorite lesson or activity
* One test given in the past year
* Current textbook(s)
* Post-it notes
Lead Consultant: Jill Bell
Jill Bell currently teaches Pre-AP Algebra II GT, Pre-Calculus and AP Calculus AB at Ronald Reagan High School in San Antonio, Texas. A 20+ year veteran of the classroom, Ms. Bell has been a College Board consultant for seven years and has presented various workshops across the country on Pre-AP Mathematics, AP Calculus, and SAT Math preparation. She is active in Rotary and has been honored by “Who’s Who Among America’s Teachers.” She holds with a BS in Secondary Education from Baylor University and secondary certifications in Mathematics, Spanish and Gifted/Talented.
* Trademark Notice: College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP, and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.