:: 2014 AP* Summer Institutes at UT Austin
Pre-AP Middle School Math for New Pre-AP Teachers
This Pre-AP Middle School Math for New Pre-AP Teachers session will focus on creating a learning environment anchored in the skills, concepts, and habits of mind needed for success in Advanced Placement math courses. This session is designed for middle school classes up to Algebra I (not including Algebra I).
The goals of the four-day session are to assist participants with:
- Identifying the skills and concepts necessary for success in AP Math courses
- Focusing on specific topics including problem solving, numerical fluency, inquiry based learning, calculator skills, algebraic functions, and graphical concepts.
- Developing realistic and practical Pre-AP strategies, and a plan for implementation, to prepare their students for long-term academic success
- Strategies to support all students
Participants should bring the following:
- Curriculum requirements and/or standards (new math TEKS for Texas)
- A successful lesson
- Sticky notes
- TI Graphing calculator (loaners will be available)
Lead Consultant: Rebecca Embry
* Trademark Notice: College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP, and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.