:: 2013 AP* Summer Institutes at UT Austin
Pre-AP High School English for New Pre-AP Teachers
Institute Code AP13014
This institute is closed for registration.
Basic Training: Strategies for Success in English Language Arts In this interactive workshop, participants will learn foundational Pre-AP strategies that align with AP English Language and Composition and AP Literature and Composition. These strategies include close reading application for fiction, non-fiction, and visual texts. Additionally, participants will learn methods for teaching introductory skills for research, argumentation, rhetorical analysis, and synthesis writing tasks. Participants will leave with hands-on activities, lessons, and graphic organizers and will also learn strategies for integrating these tools into their existing curriculum. This institute will feature many new curriculum pieces to include Pre-AP synthesis units and timed writing workshop strategies.
- Participants should bring:
- Course syllabus and titles of major works taught
- Copies of a few passages of major works taught from fiction-novels, short stories, poetry, and drama
- Copies of a few selections from nonfiction- essays, visuals, speeches, etc.
- Laptop computer or tablet.
Lead Consultant: Elizabeth Villarreal
Elizabeth Villarreal has taught all levels of English from grades six through eleven. She teaches AP English Language and Composition at New Braunfels High School. She has taught English for the past twenty years, sixteen of which have been in Pre-AP/AP courses. She is an endorsed College Board consultant and an Educational Testing Service Reader for the AP English Language and Composition Exam. She is also an SAT Reader and a member of the NCTE. She has presented at workshops and Pre-AP/AP Summer Institutes in Texas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Pennsylvania, and Maryland. In addition, she has been a presenter at the AP Annual Conference and at the AP Colloquium for Equity and Excellence. Elizabeth has also served on the Texas Education Agency End –of- Course Advisory Committees and STAAR™ Item Review Committees for reading and writing.
* Trademark Notice: College Board, AP, Advanced Placement Program, AP Vertical Teams, Pre-AP, and the acorn logo are registered trademarks of the College Board. Used with permission.