:: Spotlight: It’s All In the Timing
Posted: July 9, 2012
It’s All In the Timing
Time management is an important key to success in a self-paced online course. Below are tips to help keep you on track.
Tips for Success
- Get a feel for your course workload. When you begin a course, browse through all of the sections to familiarize yourself with the general outline of the course, topics and assignments.
- Create a timeline for yourself. Schedule due dates for yourself for your assignments and set target dates for your exams.
- Allow time for instructor feedback. All self-paced online courses include instructor-graded assignments, and it may take your instructor a few days to grade your assignments. Plan for turnaround time.
- Don’t wait to take your midterm. For overall good planning, keep in mind that your midterm must be graded before you can request your final exam. You should request and take your midterm at the designated place in your course outline.
- Take your final exam three weeks before you need a course grade. If you need to complete your course to meet an important deadline, don’t wait until the last minute to take your final exam. After you take your final exam, it can take up to three weeks for your course grade to appear on a UT Austin transcript.
Need more time?
If you determine that you can’t complete the course before the expiration date, remember that you can purchase a course extension. We recommend you take care of your extension at least a week before your course expires, as you won’t be able to get back into your course if you let it expire.
These students took self-paced online courses to meet their educational goals. Click on their faces to read their stories and advice for other students.