:: Self-paced Courses

FAQ Categories:

Earning Credit with Self-paced Online College Courses

Can I take a self-paced online course for credit towards my degree?

In most cases, absolutely. Our courses are University of Texas at Austin courses drawn from the university’s course inventory and generally count as transfer credit at the university and most other institutions. However, because acceptance of credit is always determined by the receiving institution, we strongly recommend that you consult with your academic advisor before enrolling to confirm if and how University Extension credits will count in your degree plan.

What is the process for transferring University Extension credits to my home institution?

If you wish to use your UEX course credits toward graduation or to transfer credits to your degree program at your home institution, be sure to plan well. Check with your academic advisor to learn about any deadlines your college or home institution might have and schedule your own pace and target completion date. Remember that it will take two to three weeks after you take your final exam for your final course grade to appear at the UT Registrar’s office. We will mail you a University Extension final course report. If you need an official transcript, you must order it through UT’s Office of the Registrar, Transcript Services.

Will a self-paced online course from University Extension appear on my transcript?

Yes, your credit will appear on a University of Texas at Austin transcript. You will not automatically receive a transcript. You must order one through UT’s Office of the Registrar, Transcript Services.

For UT Austin students, your University Extension self-paced online course grade will be averaged into your cumulative grade point average.

Contact information for Transcript Services in the Office of the Registrar:

The University of Texas at Austin
Transcript Services
Main Building 1
The University of Texas at Austin
Austin, Texas 78712-1157
(512) 475-7689

Can I earn a degree with University Extension?

No. University Extension offers college credit courses, but does not grant degrees. UEX college credit is generally accepted as transfer credit toward undergraduate degrees at other institutions. Students pursuing a degree elsewhere should consult with their advisors to determine UEX course applicability to their degree.

Can I take a UEX online course pass/fail?


When you enroll in a University Extension self-paced online course, you are allowed to choose your grading option to take the course either for a letter grade or pass/fail. Most courses required for a degree must be taken for a letter grade, so before you choose the pass/fail option, check with your academic advisor if you are concerned about earning credit. You may change your grading option one time during your enrollment by submitting a request in writing before you have completed 50% of your assignments.

Examine your enrollment receipt carefully to make certain you have indicated the correct grading option. Once the final course grade has been reported to the Office of the Registrar, it cannot be changed. If you do not attend The University of Texas at Austin, your college or university has the option of accepting your grade toward your degree requirements.