UT Wordmark
masthead The University of Texas at Austin The College of Liberal Arts The College of Liberal Arts

Ask Libby

How do I drop a class?

Students can drop a class online (aka delete drop) through the 12th
class day of a long semester or 4th class day of a summer session.
Dropping a class during this time may result in a refund of tuition
money. Students are eligible if the drop places them in a different
level on the flat-rate tuition scale. Classes dropped during this time
will not appear on a student’s permanent record.

From the thirteenth class day through the deadline (aka the
mid-semester deadline) to drop a class for academic reasons in a
long-session semester, and from the fifth through the last class day in
a summer term (exact dates are on the university calendar in the
Registrar's Course Schedule), a student may drop a class only with the
approval of his or her dean.

Student's must pick up a drop form, Add-Drop for Undergraduate Students,
in the Liberal Arts Student Division (GEB 2.200) before 5 p.m. on
Deadline Day. Students will be given no more than five business days
to complete the process from the date that the form is picked up
(except if picked up on the last class day in a summer session when
there is no extra time given because the drop deadline is the last
class day instead of the mid-semester deadline such as in fall and

For graduating seniors and students on scholastic probation,
consultation with the student's advisor is also required. In addition,
the student's dean determines whether the student is dropping the class
for an academic or a nonacademic reason. If the dean determines that
the reason is academic, the drop is counted toward the six-drop limit.
Any drop whether academic or non-academic during this period is
considered a Q-Drop; a “Q” identifies the drop on a student's academic
record. The number of Q-Drops a student can take may be limited,
depending on the student’s first semester enrolled in a Texas public

After Deadline Day, students may not drop or withdraw unless there are
serious non-academic circumstances that occurred after the deadline
date. Appeals will only be considered for urgent, substantiated, and
non-academic reasons. Contact the Liberal Arts Student Division in GEB
2.200, or at 512-471-4271, for non-academic issues.

Note: a drop is different than a withdrawal which is the complete withdrawal from all classes for a given semester. Please contact a Student Division/Dean's Office advisor in GEB 2.200 for more information or call 512-471-4271. Students should always double-check their final schedule before the 12th class day. A withdrawal from the university is for students who have competed registration for a semester or summer session, and then decided not to attend any classes that semester or session.

Related Q & A
  • What happens if I miss the pass/fail deadline? Can I still change it?
  • When is the deadline to switch a class to pass/fail?
  • Where can I see if I am taking a class pass/fail ?
  • How do I get approval from the dean to take more than the maximum hours in a semester?
  • What happens if I fail a class?
  • Attachments
    attachment No attachments were found.
    Wasn't this answer helpful enough ?