UT Wordmark
masthead The University of Texas at Austin The College of Liberal Arts The College of Liberal Arts

Ask Libby

Can I take a course on the Pass/Fail basis?

Yes. But observe the following:

  • To receive credit for an elective taken pass/fail, you must earn the minimum passing score as designated by the instructor of the course. If an A, B, C, or D is earned, the symbol 'CR' will be assigned and no grade points will be calculated into your UT GPA. You will simply receive credit for the course. If a grade of F is assigned, however, the grade is calculated into your UT GPA and all ensuing penalties apply.

  • Courses taken on a Pass/Fail basis will be graded as CR or F and can ONLY be used as ELECTIVES.

  • A student must have received at least 30 hours of college credit PRIOR to registering for any course on a pass/fail basis unless the course is offered ONLY as pass/fail. Check with an academic advisor to be sure.

  • No more than two courses may be taken on a pass/fail basis per semester or over the entire summer session.

  • The grade status of a course cannot be changed after the official University deadline in the Course Schedule.

  • The grade status of a course can ONLY be changed ONCE. Liberal Arts students are permitted to take up to sixteen hours of classroom or correspondence credit in elective courses on a pass/fail basis.

Related Q & A
  • Does a C- count as credit for a foreign language class? And, if it doesn\'t, can I retake that class?
  • So I will need four semesters of Spanish if that is the language I choose?
  • After passing the American Government CLEP Test, will I still need to take GOV 312(L,P, or R)?
  • Can I take my government class on a pass/fail basis and it still count toward my core classes?
  • How do I know if I received credit for a class if I took an AP test?
  • Attachments
    attachment No attachments were found.
    Wasn't this answer helpful enough ?