UT Wordmark
masthead The University of Texas at Austin The College of Liberal Arts The College of Liberal Arts

Ask Libby

What is a minor?

Students in most majors must also fulfill the requirements of a minor.  The minor consists of a specific number of semester hours of coursework completed outside the student's major field.  The requirements of the minor are established by the major department.  Additional restrictions may be imposed by the academic department(s) in which the student takes the courses used to fulfill the requirements of the minor; before planning to use a course to fulfill the minor requirement, the student should consult the department or program that offers the course.

The same courses may not be used to fulfill the requirements for both a major and a minor.  Courses used to fulfill the requirements for a minor must be taken on the letter-grade basis, and six of the required semester hours must be taken in residence.

To officially declare a minor, make an appointment with the academic advisor in your major department. The advising audit that you receive in your major department will not show your minor until you have officially declared one. You may declare a minor at any time, but, we strongly recommend that you declare your minor by the time you reach 60 hours.

Related Q & A
  • What undergraduate double (dual) degree programs does UT offer?
  • If I want to declare a second major within Liberal Arts, do I have to declare a second minor also?
  • What are the requirement to transfer into the business program?
  • Can I minor in finance if my major is in the College of Liberal Arts?
  • Can I double major with two majors from separate colleges?
  • Attachments
    attachment No attachments were found.
    Wasn't this answer helpful enough ?