UT Wordmark
masthead The University of Texas at Austin The College of Liberal Arts The College of Liberal Arts

Ask Libby

Can I double major with two majors from separate colleges?

A student pursuing a major in two separate colleges is considered a simultaneous major or dual-degree seeker in most cases. An exception to this would be a student who is pursuing BA majors in both the College of Natural Sciences and Liberal Arts. In this case, the student would only receive one BA degree with two majors denoted on the transcript.

A student who is currently a student in only one college would have to gain admission via the internal transfer/application process to the other college. A dual-degree seeker must complete at least 24 additional hours beyond the original required hours for the degree that requires the most hours. For example, if total hours required for the degree is 120 hrs then a dual-degree student would be required to have at least 144 hrs to graduate with two degrees.

Related Q & A
  • What undergraduate double (dual) degree programs does UT offer?
  • If I want to declare a second major within Liberal Arts, do I have to declare a second minor also?
  • What are the requirement to transfer into the business program?
  • Can I minor in finance if my major is in the College of Liberal Arts?
  • What minors are available?
  • Attachments
    attachment No attachments were found.
    Wasn't this answer helpful enough ?