American Studies

Ann Cvetkovich


Affiliate FacultyPh.D., 1988, Cornell University

Professor
Ann Cvetkovich

Contact

Interests


Women's and gender studies, gay and lesbian studies, public feelings, trauma studies

Courses


AMS 315F • Native American Lit And Cul

30630 • Fall 2016
Meets TTH 1230pm-200pm PAR 204
(also listed as E 314V)

E 314V l  5-Native American Literature and Culture

Instructor:  Cvetkovich, A

Unique #:  34685

Semester:  Fall 2016

Cross-lists:  AMS 315F

Restrictions:  n/a

Computer Instruction:  No

Prerequisites:  One of the following: E 603A, RHE 306, 306Q, or T C 603A.

Description:  This course will begin from the premise that all students can benefit from studying Native American and indigenous literature and culture as part of the process of decolonizing their own heritage, one version of which begins with the question “whose (traditional) land are we on?”  We will read a variety of contemporary native and indigenous writers whose work has challenged colonial representations of native people and fostered indigenous resistance and resurgence.  Seeking to approach learning from an indigenous perspective, we will also explore more generally the role of literature and other forms of writing and culture in visions for social justice.

A primary aim for this course is to help students develop and improve the critical reading, writing, and thinking skills needed for success in upper-division courses in English and other disciplines.  They will also gain practice in using the Oxford English Dictionary and other online research tools and print resources that support studies in the humanities.  Students will learn basic information literacy skills and models for approaching literature with various historical, generic, and cultural contexts in mind.

This course contains a writing flag.  The writing assignments in this course are arranged procedurally with a focus on invention, development through instructor and peer feedback, and revision; they will comprise a major part of the final grade.

Reflecting the Cultural Diversity flag, the course will approach Native American and indigenous cultures from the vantage point of race and ethnicity but also other forms of cultural difference such as gender, sexuality, nation, religion, class and disability.

Required books to purchase (available at UT Co-Op):  Thomas King, The Truth about Stories; Leslie Marmon Silko, Ceremony; Sherman Alexie, The Toughest Indian in the World; Eden Robinson, Monkey Beach; Short fiction by other writers and essayists.

Requirements & Grading:  Attendance, class participation, twice weekly discussion posts to Canvas, in-class writing, required office hour visit, 25%; two 5-page essays, 25% each (total 50%); one 6-8-page substantial revision of a 5-page essay, including peer review and class presentation, 25%.

Publications


Cvetkovich, A. (2008, March) Drawing the Archive in Alison Bechdel's Fun Home. Women's Studies Quarterly, 36(1), 111-128.

download

Cvetkovich, A. (2007, June) Public Feelings. SAQ: South Atlantic Quarterly, 106(3), 459-468.

download

Curriculum Vitae


Profile Pages


External Links