Faculty Sick Leave Reports should be submitted any time a faculty member has an active assignment yet is unable to work due to:
Also, up to 8 hours of sick leave may be used annually to attend parent-teacher conferences.
General Information for Faculty Employees on Sick Leave, Parental Leave and Related Policies. http://www.utexas.edu/provost/policies/leave/sick_leave.html
Faculty accumulate sick time at a rate of 8 hours per month of appointment, or 9 sick days per academic year. For more information, see UT Austin’s Sick Leave Policy.
Family Medical Leave provides up to 12 weeks of leave, or 26 weeks for military caregiver leave, while restoring you to the same or equivalent position and continuing your premium sharing.
To use FML you must meet one of the following conditions:
- A serious health condition
- The birth and care of your child or a child for whom you stand in loco parentis (provide day to day responsibilities to care for or financially support a child)
- Adopting a child or having a certified foster child placed in your care or a child for whom you stand in loco parentis (provide day to day responsibilities to care for or financially support a child)
- Care of your spouse*, child, (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis) or parent who has a serious health condition.
- "Qualifying exigency" due to the fact that your spouse*, son, daughter (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis), or parent is on military active duty or has been notified of an impending call to military active duty.
- "Military caregiver leave"-care of your spouse*, son, daughter, (including biological, adopted, foster, and step-children and legal wards or children for whom you stand in loco parentis), parent or next of kin who is a covered military service member who's recovering from serious illness or injury sustained during active duty.
In order to receive FML, you must be employed for at least 12 months by the State of Texas. You must also have worked at least 1,250 hours during the year before the beginning of your leave.
*For coverage under FML for a spouse, a copy of the marriage certificate or declaration of informal marriage will be required.
Eligible faculty can also apply for Sick Leave Pool. Sick Leave Pool can award up to 720 hours of additional paid leave when either they or an immediate family member has suffered a catastrophic illness or injury. This leave is available to benefits eligible faculty and staff who have exhausted accrued paid leave.
Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to firstname.lastname@example.org.