College of Liberal Arts

Foreign Travel on State Funds

Links | Contact | Tips

If you are processing a VE5 or VE6 for foreign travel (any country except US, Mexico, Canada, and US possessions) on state funds (all 14- & 20- accounts), you will need to request the dean’s permission by e-mailing Stephanie Hollub-Fletcher.

  • Create the RTA/VE5, and then e-mail Stephanie Hollub-Fletcher. The e-mail should be copied to Hannah McKenna and Michelle Q. Hughes, and the subject should include the RTA/VE5 document ID and the traveler's name.
  • Stephanie will print out the VE5 or VE6 voucher cover sheet for the dean's signature. The creator of the VE5/VE6 should hold the electronic document in their inbox until Stephanie sends notification that the dean has signed it.
  • Once the dean signs the cover sheet, Stephanie will e-mail a scanned image to the document creator for further processing and forward the original signed cover sheet to the OA Travel section.
For VE6/RTA amendment documents created to add a state account, please state in the document notes that you are adding a state account. If the original RTA did not include a state account, please e-mail Stephanie using the steps described above; however if the VE6 is to add a second state account the original approval of foreign travel on state funds is sufficient.

Approval to travel during the first/last week of class or during final exams should come from the department chair. However, if the department chair is seeking approval to travel during these periods, a request must be sent to Sr. Assoc. Dean Richard Flores, copying Stephanie Hollub-Fletcher, Hannah McKenna, and Michelle Q. Hughes.

Always consult the UT Policy on International Travel to Restricted Regions.

All Requests for Travel Restriction Exceptions must go to Hanna McKenna.


Back to Top

More on these regulations can be found in the Handbook of Business Procedures: Note: PDF files require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view.


Back to Top

Please direct comments on the Procedures Guide to

Tips or FAQs

Back to Top

  • Prior approval is not required for foreign travel on local accounts (accounts beginning with 19-, 30-, 26-, 41-, and a few others).
  • Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico and US possessions are not considered foreign and do not require approval to use state funds.
  • Please always copy Hannah McKenna and Michelle Q. Hughes on these e-mails in the event Stephanie Hollub-Fletcher is out of the office.
  • The Faculty Travel Grant is now a 30- local account and does not require dean's prior approval of foreign travel on state funds.

Last Modified: 9 September 2014