New Faculty Resources
New Faculty - Getting Set Up at UT
- Mandatory New Faculty Orientation - Click the New Faculty Teaching/Orientation Seminar link in the first paragraph to register.
- Mandatory Employment Forms:
- I-9 Verification - Must be completed within the first three days of employment. Can be done at the New Faculty Orientation, or see Jenica Jones in the Slavic Department office.
- Claim your W-4 (Log in with UT EID required.)
- Optional New Employee Orientation- Covers insurance and retirement options.
- UT Electronic Identity (UT EID)- How to find or reset a UT EID. The UT EID is your online account at The University of Texas at Austin and other University of Texas institutions. Everyone who deals with the university online should have one.
- UT Austin Email Address - Sign up for a UT Austin email address with a UT EID.
- UT Identification Card - The ID Center is located on the first floor of the Flawn Academic Center (FAC). A valid photo ID (e.g., a driver's license) is required.
- Office Keys- Obtain a key letter from Jenica Jones, then go to the Service Building (SER) with your UT ID card to get an office key.
- Telephone (UT Voice Mail [UTVM] System)- Voice mail instructions for UT's new VoIP telephone system. Jenica Jones will give faculty their office phone number.
- Department Faculty Web Profile - Please make sure your faculty profile webpage is up to date. Contact Tamara Kowalski in the Slavic Department with any updates to be made (including CVs to upload, Interests, Office Hours and Location, etc). To upload a profile photo, please click here.
- Parking- Information on permits, garage/lot locations, and fees.
- UT Austin Faculty Web Central - A comprehensive list of resources for faculty.
- UTDirect - The main web portal where all of the above can be accessed (UT EID required).
- Blackboard/Canvas - Slavic Department Blackboard and Canvas portals for online learning. UT is transitioning from using Blackboard to using Canvas.
- CLIPS and Blackboard/Canvas - Online tools for managing classes. The Slavic Department Blackboard can be accessed via the Blackboard homepage.
- Uploading Syllabi and CVs (House Bill 2504) - The State of Texas requires that all faculty upload their CV and syllabi each semester before the 12th class day. They must comply with these specific State guidelines. Upload them here. Please contact Jenica Jones with any questions.
- Classroom Media Console Key and Code - Please go to Mezes Hall (MEZ) 2.104 with a UT ID to obtain a classroom media console key, if needed. Please see front desk for the computer access code.
- Office Desktop Support - firstname.lastname@example.org, 471-5000
- Classroom Support (Liberal Arts) - 471-9666
- General IT Support - 475-9400
Safety and Health
- UT Austin Police Department - Call 471-4441 (or 1-4441), or 911, from a campus phone.
- Emergency Text Alerts - Sign up for text alerts to receive prompt notice of emergencies, other safety issues, and weather closings.
- Behavior Concerns Advice Line (BCAL) - 232-5050. BCAL is a service that provides faculty, students, and staff an opportunity to discuss their concerns about another individual's behavior.
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) - 471-3366
- Maintenance and Trouble Calls - 471-7728
- UT Austin Child Development Center - UT Austin childcare services.
General Office Procedures
- Business Hours - The Slavic department's main office and copy room are open during regular business hours (8am-5pm, M-F).
- Mail - Mailing within the UT Austin campus is free. Campus mail envelopes are available in the Slavic Department office. There are outgoing mailboxes for campus and external mail on the first floor of Burdine Hall.
- Copying/Printing/Faxing - The Department has one machine in Burdine room 440 for all faculty, staff, and graduate students to use for official business. Please see Tamara or Jenica to get set up with a login and password.
- Telephone - To call a campus number from campus, dial only the last 5 digits (e.g., 2-6300); to call locally outside of the University, dial 9+area code+number; to make a long-distance domestic call, dial 9+area code+number; to call a toll-free number, dial 9, then the number (including the 1); to make an international call, dial 8+six-digit authorization code+#8011+number.
- Office Supplies - The University has a standing contract with Office Max and is unable to reimburse purchases made with other vendors. Please use the online Office Max catalog for product numbers, then submit your request to Jenica Jones.
* Computers, monitors, and printers cannot be purchased by anyone besides the staff members to ensure University policy compliance.
- Letterhead - Please see Jenica Jones for Departmental and Center letterhead.
- "Kitchen" - (Located in the copy room) A small refrigerator and complimentary coffee is available for Slavic department faculty, staff and graduate students.
- Custodial Service - Offices are cleaned once a month. To have trash removed for the next business day, please set bins in the hall outside offices.
* Please recycle all paper & cardboard, plastic bottles & hard plastics #1-7, aluminum cans, food cans and glass. Inside buildings: comingle recyclables in hallway and break room bins or silver bins; deskside blue bins are for paper only. (Click HERE for more details on recycling at UT.)
- Accounting and Travel - Faculty who have an account and would like to know their account number and/or balance can check it here. Requests for Travel Authorization and accompanying receipts should be submitted online (log in with EID required). Before making an expense, check with Jenica Jones first to confirm reimbursement eligibility.
- Leave - Please see Jenica Jones if planning to take leave.
- Clerical assistance - For class- and research-related matters, faculty should ask their TA and/or RA for assistance.