Susan Sage Heinzelman, Director 116 Inner Campus Dr Stop A4900, GEB 4.200C, Austin Texas 78712 • 512-471-5765
What is NEW Leadership™ Texas?
NEW Leadership™ Texas is:
- A non-partisan intensive residential program that educates college women about politics and policy-making and inspires them to get involved in the political process. During the six-day program, students meet with women in a variety of roles in the public sphere, learn about women’s political participation, explore ideas about leadership and politics, and participate in hands-on skills building exercises.
- Part of the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies at The University of Texas at Austin;
- A week-long, undergraduate leadership development program for women that instills the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for effective political engagement and community organizing;
The first and only program of its kind in the state of Texas, and is part of the National Education for Women’s (NEW) Leadership Development Network. The program challenges our brightest students to think critically and creatively about public policy and encourages them to make a commitment to public leadership early in their careers.
NEW Leadership™ Texas features an innovative curriculum designed to:
- Teach students about the diversity of women’s historical and contemporary participation in politics and policy making;
- Connect students with women leaders who make a difference in the public sphere, education, business, law, politics, economics, community activism, and more;
- Help students explore the demands of justice based, effective, and ethical leadership in a diverse society;
- Cultivate students’ leadership skills;
- Enable students to practice leadership through action; and
- Build a statewide network of peers and mentors.