Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
cwgs masthead
Dr. Susan Sage Heinzelman, Director 2505 University Avenue, A4900, Burdine Hall 536, Austin Texas 78712 • 512-471-5765

Minoring in Women's and Gender Studies

Please contact your college adviser for details. Minors must declare with the student's home department.

At the University of Texas at Austin, some degree plans require minors, some do not. Some programs offer minors, others do not and instead call them "unofficial concentrations." It is best to talk to your academic advisor to learn your degree plan requirements.

Students in most majors must also fulfill the requirements of a minor. The minor consists of a specific number of semester hours of coursework completed outside the student’s major field. The requirements of the minor are established by the major department. Additional restrictions may be imposed by the academic department(s) in which the student takes the courses used to fulfill the requirements of the minor; before planning to use a course to fulfill the minor requirement, the student should consult the department or program that offers the course.

The same courses may not be used to fulfill the requirements for both a major and a minor. Courses used to fulfill the requirements for a minor must be taken on the letter-grade basis, and six of the required semester hours must be taken in residence.

In the College of Liberal Arts, a minor is 12 hours from an area, with 6 of those hours being from upper-division courses.

(Lower-division classes are numbered 301-319. Upper-division classes are number 320-379.)

For example, a Liberal Arts student could minor in WGS with the following courses:

WGS 301, WGS 301, WGS 340, WGS 345

bottom border