Women's and Gender Studies Dissertation Fellowships
This is a fellowship for doctoral students writing dissertations on topics related to women's and gender studies. Ph.D. students who are enrolled in the WGS Portfolio Program are eligible. $500 will be divided among one or two awards, as determined by the selection committee. The awards will be announced at the Women's and Gender Studies Spring Awards Reception in late April/early May, date TBA.
To be eligible, an applicant must be in doctoral candidacy no later than August 15th 2014 and register as a WGS Ph.D. Portfolio student by March 25th 2014. Information on the WGS Portfolio Program is available online. Applicants must be full-time graduate students in good standing at The University of Texas-Austin.
Preference will be given to those completing their dissertation by August 2015. Applications will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- Letter of recommendation from dissertation chair;
- Contributions of the project to the field of Women's and Gender Studies;
- Soundness of research design;
- Ability of the student to complete the project as a dissertation; and
- Quality of the proposal.
For questions, please call the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies: 471-5765.
- Application form (submitted online)
- Title of Dissertation
- A 50-word summary description of the dissertation project, (800 char. max; submitted online)
- Have you applied for any similar WGS awards in the past? If so, please include the award name(s), year(s) applied, and the results.
- A one- to two-page vita (75 lines max, submitted online). Check formatting; punctuation may be lost.
- A two-page description of the dissertation project (75 lines max, submitted online)
- Letter of recommendation from the dissertation adviser emphasizing why this dissertation topic is relevant to Women's and Gender Studies, your ability to carry out the project, and the faculty member's working relationship with you on the project. The letter will be submitted via the online application. The online application system is limited in the description used for letters of recommendation. Therefore, it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their references know what to include in their letter regarding the dissertation fellowship.
Double-spacing is not needed. A word of caution: the website's interpretation of 75 lines may differ from 75 lines in a word processing program. Applications and letters must be submitted online by 4:59pm on April 2nd 2014. When submitting to the online system, double-check formatting as punctuation may be lost. Do not wait until the last minute to apply! The server may become overloaded due to traffic and your browser might receive an error! Staff may not be available to assist with errors on March 25th. We advise you test your ability to save and work online as early as possible. Please submit questions or report any glitches you find in advance to the CWGS office.
Applications are available online through UT Direct: http://tiny.cc/wgs-awards
If the shortened link does not work for you, please try: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/scholarship/student/menu.WBX?s_scholarship_owner=LWGS&s_user_role=S
A note about Letters of Recommendation: The online Liberal Arts Scholarship Administration System was designed to allow one upload/per faculty member/per semester. This may be problematic if you are applying to more than one award. Different awards ask for different types of letters, therefore we are accepting email submissions of letters of recommendation under these terms: 1. Students are responsible for contacting faculty and instructing them to email recommendations to email@example.com 2. Email message subject should read, "[name of award] letter, [last name of student]". 3. If applicable, file name of recommendation should also contain the award's name and the student's last name. 4. Students are responsible for contacting faculty and following up to confirm that letters have been submitted by the deadline.
Applications will open in February 2014.The award will be presented at the annual Women's and Gender Studies Spring Reception on May 6th at 3:30pm. Award Recipients should be in attendance.