Women's and Gender Studies MA Thesis Award
WGS MA Student Thesis Awards will be awarded each spring to deserving WGS MA graduate students based on their thesis and its contribution to the field of Women's & Gender Studies.
This is an award for WGS MA students writing a thesis. $500 will be divided among one or two awards, as determined by the selection committee. The awards will be announced at the Women's and Gender Studies Spring Awards Reception in late April/early May, date TBA.
To be eligible, an applicant must be enrolled in the Women's & Gender Studies Master's Program at CWGS, in one of the WGS dual degree programs, or have graduated with their WGS MA within the last calendar year. Applicants must be full-time graduate students in good standing at The University of Texas-Austin. (Due to budget restrictions we are limiting the Thesis award to our recent and current WGS MA students only. Graduate students from other departments are not eligible.)
Preference will be given to those graduating in the Spring of 2014. Applications will be reviewed on the following criteria:
- Letters of recommendation;
- Contributions of the project to the field of Women's and Gender Studies;
- Soundness of project design;
- Quality of the abstract.
For questions, please call the Center for Women’s and Gender Studies: 471-5765.
- Application form (submitted online)
- Title of Project
- A 50-word summary description of the dissertation project (800 char. max; submitted online)
- Have you applied for any similar WGS awards in the past? If so, please include the award name(s), year(s) applied, and the results.
- What advice would you give to WGS MA students who come after you? (This answer is for data gathering purposes only. This information will not be included in the competition.)
- A one- page statement explaining significance of your thesis and its on-going contribution to the field of women's and gender studies. (50 lines max, submitted online)
- Abstract of the thesis (25 lines max, submitted online)
- 2 Letter of recommendations from faculty members. Including one from your thesis adviser emphasizing why this thesis topic is relevant to Women's and Gender Studies, your ability to carry out the project, and their working relationship with you on the project. The letters will be submitted via the online application. The online application system is limited in the description used for letters of recommendation. Therefore, it is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that their references know what to include in their letters regarding the WGS MA thesis award.
Double-spacing is not needed. A word of caution: the website's interpretation of 50 lines may differ from 50 lines in a word processing program. Applications and letters must be submitted online by 4:59pm on April 2nd 2014. When submitting to the online system, double-check formatting as punctuation may be lost. Do not wait until the last minute to apply! The server may become overloaded due to traffic and your browser might receive an error! Staff may not be available to assist with errors on March 25th. We advise you test your ability to save and work online as early as possible. Please submit questions or report any glitches you find in advance to the CWGS office.
Applications are available online through UT Direct: http://tiny.cc/wgs-awards
If the shortened link does not work for you, please try: https://utdirect.utexas.edu/scholarship/student/menu.WBX?s_scholarship_owner=LWGS&s_user_role=S
A note about Letters of Recommendation: The online Liberal Arts Scholarship Administration System was designed to allow one upload/per faculty member/per semester. This may be problematic if you are applying to more than one award. Different awards ask for different types of letters, therefore we are accepting email submissions of letters of recommendation under these terms: 1. Students are responsible for contacting faculty and instructing them to email recommendations to firstname.lastname@example.org 2. Email message subject should read, "[name of award] letter, [last name of student]". 3. If applicable, file name of recommendation should also contain the award's name and the student's last name. 4. Students are responsible for contacting faculty and following up to confirm that letters have been submitted by the deadline.
Applications will open in February 2014.The award will be presented at the annual Women's and Gender Studies Spring Reception on May 6th at 3:30pm. Award Recipients should be in attendance.