Lucia, John and Melissa Gilbert Teaching Excellence Award in Women’s and Gender Studies
Spring 2015 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS: TENURED FACULTY
The Lucia, John, and Melissa Gilbert Teaching Excellence Award honors faculty members with an outstanding record of undergraduate and/or graduate teaching in Women's and Gender Studies courses. One award is given each year, alternating between non-tenured faculty members (Assistant Professor, Senior Lecturer, and Lecturer) and tenured faculty members (Associate Professor and Professor). This award includes a cash honorarium and is presented to the recipient at the Center for Women's & Gender Studies Annual Spring Awards Reception held in the spring semester.
The Center for Women's & Gender Studies will accept names of tenured faculty from the CWGS Core Faculty through April 2015. The Center will then contact the individuals to inform them that they have been nominated. Faculty members being considered for this award should hold regular, on-going faculty positions at UT Austin, should be actively engaged in the instruction of undergraduate and graduate students in Women’s & Gender Studies courses, be completing at least their third year of teaching at UT, and demonstrate active involvement in Women’s & Gender Studies. Individuals may also self-nominate. Email nominations to Jackie Salcedo, CWGS: email@example.com
Click here for a list of previous Gilbert Teaching Award recipients.
Supporting material for nominee should include:
- A copy of the Gilbert Application Checklist, (PDF link found here).
- A cover letter including the following: a. names of individuals writing recommendation b. titles of courses for which evaluations are included c. description of other activities with Women’s & Gender Studies students, such as mentoring, advising, intership supervision, and thesis/dissertation involvement; indicate if students are WGS BA majors/minors, WGS MA, or WGS graduate portfolio students
- A statement by the nominee of her/his teaching philosophy
- A current curriculum vitae
- All of the teaching evaluations for Women’s Studies & Gender Studies undergraduate and/or graduate courses taught by the nominee during the past three years
- Three to five letters of recommendation from faculty colleagues, and/or present or former students
We will accept PDFs of required materials via email by the deadline. Email completed application and required materials to Jackie Salcedo, CWGS: firstname.lastname@example.org
Supporting Materials will be due in the CWGS office in April 2015.
Please note: CWGS prefers that nominees gather all the supporting materials and submit them as a packet. If recommenders submit letters themselves, that is acceptable but the letters must be received by the deadline.
CWGS does not contact individuals for their letters of recommendation; we leave this up to the award nominee.
The award nominee should use the checklist (see Gilbert Application Checklist PDF in link above) to notify CWGS on how many letters to expect and who will be writing letters of recommendation for the award nominee.