Lucia, John, and Melissa Gilbert Teaching Excellence Award in Women’s and Gender Studies
2013-14 CALL FOR NOMINATIONS FOR TENURED FACULTY
The Lucia, John, and Melissa Gilbert Teaching Excellence Award honors faculty members with an outstanding record of undergraduate and/or graduate teaching in Women's and Gender Studies courses. One award is given each year, alternating between non-tenured faculty members (Assistant Professor or Lecturer) and tenured faculty members (Associate or Full Professor). The 2013-2014 call is for tenured faculty.
The Center for Women's Studies will accept names of worthy faculty from all affiliates through March 3rd, 2014. The Center will then contact the individuals to inform them that they have been nominated. Individuals may also self-nominate. Please send an email to nominate.
Click here for a list of previous award recipients.
Supporting material for each individual should include:
- A copy of the Gilbert Application Checklist, (PDF link found here).
- A cover letter including the following:
- 1. names of individuals writing recommendation
- 2. titles of courses for which evaluations are included
- 3. description of other activities with Women’s & Gender Studies students,
such as mentoring, advising, intership supervision, and thesis/dissertation involvement; indicate if students are WGS BA majors/minors, WGS MA, or WGS graduate portfolio students
- A statement by the nominee of her/his teaching philosophy.
- A current curriculum vitae.
- All of the teaching evaluations for Women’s Studies & Gender Studies undergraduate and/or graduate courses taught by the nominee during the past three years.
- Three to five letters of recommendation from faculty colleagues, and/or present or former students.
- Faculty members being considered for this award should hold regular, on-going faculty positions at UT Austin, should be actively engaged in the instruction of undergraduate and graduate students in Women’s Studies courses, be completing at least their third year of teaching at UT, and demostrate active involvement in Women’s and Gender Studies.
- This award, carrying a cash honorarium, will be presented to the recipient at the Center for Women's & Gender Studies Reception, to be held in late April/early May.
- Supporting Materials will be due in the CWGS offices by 5pm on April 7th, 2014.
Please note: CWGS prefers if nominees gather all the materials and submit them as a packet. If letter writers insist on submitting letters themselves, that is acceptable but the letters must be received by the deadline.
CWGS does not contact writers for letters of recommendation, we leave this up to the award nominee.
The award nominee should use the checklist PDF linked above to notify CWGS on how many letters to expect and who will be writing letters of recommendation for the award nominee.