Skip Navigation
UT wordmark
College of Liberal Arts wordmark
european_studies masthead
Douglas Biow, Director MEZ 3.126, Mailcode A1800, Austin, TX 78712 • 512-232-3470

Fall 2007

EUS 361 • Nordic Women Writers-W CANCELLED

Unique Days Time Location Instructor
37170 MWF
8:00 AM-9:00 AM
PAR 105
STRAUBHAAR, S

Course Description

This course will begin with the investigation of the question: why are nearly one-fourth of the women Nobel Prize laureates in literature from the Nordic countries? (The answer to this, of course, is not unequivocal.) Group work and heavy use of Internet text sites will be used to examine texts from up to thirty-five Nordic women authors, including anonymous women's voices -- from the middle ages to today -- and to discuss common elements and themes. (Examples: Gert Brantenberg; Kerstin Ekman; Tove Ditlevsen; Astrid Lindgren; Karen Blixen; Edith Södergran; Selma Lagerlöf; Sigrid Undset; Bjørg Vik; Svava Jakobsdóttir; Karin Boye; Amalie Skram; etc.)

Grading Policy

Five writing projects, (two in-, three and out of class) will generate 90% of the grade; the remaining 10% will come from class discussions and participation.

Texts

Gerd Brantenberg, Egalia’s Daughters (Seal Press) Edith Södergran, Complete Poems (Dufour Editions) Tove Ditlevsen, Complete Freedom and Other Stories (Curbstone Press) Kerstin Ekman, Blackwater (Picador) Astrid Lindgren, Ronia the Robber’s Daughter (Viking Press) Plus handouts and reserve readings.

back

bottom border