Note: this page is for systems/browsers lacking Unicode® support, or having less than full Unicode 2.0 font support. Versions of this page rendered in alternate character sets are available via links (Unicode 2 and Unicode 3) in the left margin.
0. Introduction to Classical Greek
1. from Thucydides' History of the war between the Peloponnesians and the Athenians, Book 1
2. from Homer's Iliad
3. from Homer's Odyssey
4. from Herodotus' History, Book 1
5. from Herodotus' History, Book 4
6. from Xenophon's Anabasis
7. from Hesiod's Works and Days, Part 1
8. from Plato's Republic, Book 6, Section 13
9. from Aristotle's The Poetics, Book 4: 22-26
10. from Pausanias' Description of Greece, Attica 22: 4-5
1. The alphabet and sound system.
1.1. The alphabet.
1.2. The sound system.
2. Greek, a Subject-Object-Verb (SOV) language.
3. Modifications of the basic sentence pattern.
4. Nominal inflection.
5. Verb inflection.
6. Conjunctions and Particles.
8. Nouns in consonantal declension.
9. Personal pronouns.
10. The Present System of verbs.
11. Nouns: i-stems.
12. Adjectives of the -o- and -a- Declensions.
13. The Intensive Pronoun autos and allos 'other'.
14. The Dual.
15. The Aorist System.
16. Nouns ending in -êr.
17. Irregular nouns.
18. Demonstrative pronouns.
19. The uses of infinitives.
20. The Present system of the Middle and the Passive.
21. Consonant stems ending in dentals.
22. Comparison of adjectives.
23. Interrogative and indefinite pronouns.
24. The middle and passive voices.
25. The subjunctive, optative, and imperative middle and passive forms, the infinitive and participle.
26. Survey of noun declensions.
27. Suffixes applied to stems to indicate location.
28. Use of the augment.
30. The middle forms of the aorist.
31. Inflection of adjectives and participles.
32. Two frequently occurring adjectives.
33. Less frequent patterns of adjectival comparison.
34. Aorist of the passive.
35. Infinitives and participles of the aorist middle and passive.
36. Tense formation.
37. Tense formation of obstruent stems.
38. Tense formation of resonant stems.
39. The tense formations of some frequent but irregular verbs.
40. The Middle and Passive Perfect.
41. Verbs in -mi; the present and imperfect active system.
42. Forms of the aorist active.
43. Forms of the Present and Imperfect system of eimi 'am'.
44. Forms of oida 'I know'.
49. Specialized handbooks.
50. The Legacy of the Greek World.