Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 24, 1986 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Hewitt, B. G., "Parataxis Revisited (Via the Caucasus)," p. 1.
- Levin, Saul, "The Greek Diacritical Marks and Their Application to Other Languages in the Renaissance," p. 21.
- Orr, Robert, "An Embryonic Ergative Construction in Irish," p. 38.
- Shields, Kenneth, Jr., "The IE Middle Voice," p. 46.
- Levin, Saul, "Indo-European Descriptive Adjectives with 'Oxytone' Accent and Semitic Stative Verbs," p. 83.
- Swiggers, P., "Middle Dutch Philology and Linguistics," p. 111.
- Peeters, Christian L., "A Note on Protophonemes," p. 121.
- Holmes, Janet, "'Women's Language': A Functional Approach," p. 149.
- Hamp, Eric P., "Über Das Deklinationssystem," p. 179.
- Zeps, Vladis J., "Is Slavic a West Baltic Language?" p. 213.
- Bertulis, Reinis, "Semantische Differenzierung der Wörter Gleichen Ursprungs im Lettischen und Litauischen," p. 223.
- Malkiel, Yakov, "Reconstruction of Latin *accursare 'to pursue' from Old Spanish and from Italian Dialects," p. 230.
- Levin, Saul, "The Glottal Stop in the Germanic Languages and its Indo-European Source," p. 233.
- Swiggers, P., "Gothic 'naiswor'," p. 236.
- Hamp, Eric P., "On Myths and Accuracy," p. 238.
- Harris, Syllable Structure and Stress in Spanish: A non-Linear Approach. Reviewed by Whitley, M. Stanley, p. 56.
- Baldi, An Introduction to the Indo-European Languages. Reviewed by Hoenigswald, Henry M., p. 71.
- Ryan & Giles, eds., Attitudes Towards Language Variation: Social and Applied Contexts. Reviewed by Frazer, Timothy C., p. 73.
- Levinson, Pragmatics. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 123.
- Aparicio & Fernandez, Manuel de Lengua Gotica. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 129.
- Sampson, Schools of Linguistics: Competition and Evolution. Reviewed by Dinneen, Francis P., p. 131.
- Seward, Japanese in Action. Reviewed by Hinds, John, p. 187.
- Simon, Tomaszewski, Tiarsmith, Phair et al., World Dictionaries in Print 1983. A Guide to Central and Subject Dictionaries in World Languages. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 187.
- Wright, Late Latin and Early Romance in Spain and Carolingian France. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 194.
- Lindeman, The Triple Representation of Schwa in Greek and Some Related Problems of Indo-European Phonology. Reviewed by Wyatt, William F., Jr., p. 199.
- Rieber, ed., Dialogues on the Psychology of Language and Thought: Conversations with Noam Chomsky, Charles Osgood, Jean Piaget, Ulric Neisser, and Marcel Kinsbourne. Reviewed by Washabaugh, William, p. 201.
- Pinkster, ed., Latin Linguistics and Linguistic Theory. Proceedings of the First International Colloquium on Latin Linguistics. Reviewed by Bammesberger, Alfred, p. 208.
- Collison, A History of Foreign-Language Dictionaries. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 240.
- Bauman, Let Your Words Be Few: Symbolism of Speaking and Silence Among Seventeenth Century Quakers. Reviewed by Schmalstieg, Roxanne L., p. 250.
- Bammesberger, A Handbook of Irish - Essentials of Modern Irish. Reviewed by Doi, Toshio, p. 254.
- Bammesberger, A Handbook of Irish - An Outline of Modern Irish Grammar. Reviewed by McElwain, James E., p. 258.
- Décsy, ed., Global Linguistic Connections. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 260.
- Gardiner, Intonation and Music. The Semantics of Czech Prosody. Reviewed by Trost, Pavel, p. 261.
- Fiengo, Surface Structure: the Interface of Autonomous Components. Reviewed by Kardela, Henryk, p. 263.
- Davidson, Inquiries into Truth and Interpretation. Reviewed by Helman, Glen, p. 276.