Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 26, 1988 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Peeters, Christian L., "The Comparative Method and the Distinction Between Phoneme and Allophone," p. 1.
- Lehmann, Christian, "Grammaticalization and Linguistic Typology," p. 3.
- Romero-Figueroa, "Some Universal Trends on Comparison: A Study of Warao Comparatives," p. 23.
- Brown, John Pairman & Saul Levin, "The Ethnic Paradigm as a Pattern for Nominal Forms in Greek and Hebrew," p. 71.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "Two Icelandic Etymologies (Borubrattur Þybbinn)," p. 106.
- Grinaveckis, Vladas, "Zur Betonung der Präfigierten Verben in den Litauischen Mundarten," p. 115.
- Malkiel, Yakov, "Diachronic Phonology as a Clue to the Transmission of Etyma," p. 149.
- Lipski, John M., "Modern African Spanish Phonetics: Common Features and Historical Antecedents," p. 182.
- Bomhard, Allan, "Common Indo-European/Afro-Asiatic Roots: Supplement I," p. 225.
- Hamp, Eric P., "More on the Vocative *-e," p. 258.
- Bammesberger, Alfred, "The Adjectival Stem *kwikwa- in Germanic," p. 259.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "Gothic Etymological Dictionaries Past - Present - Future," p. 264.
- Agard, A Course in Romance Linguistics. Reviewed by Malkiel, Yakov, p. 38.
- Seiler, Possession as an Operational Dimension of Language. Reviewed by Swiggers, T., p. 53.
- Zgusta, Kleinasiatischen Ortsnamen. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 62.
- Bammesberger, ed., Das Etymologische Wörterbuch, Fragen der Konzeption und Gestaltung. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 67.
- Haugen, Die Skandinavischen Sprachen. Reviewed by Oresnick, Jane, p. 68.
- Hagège, La Structure des Langues. Reviewed by Swiggers, P. & W. van Langendonck, p. 122.
- Alexander, Fortis and Lenis in Germanic. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 144.
- Desnickaja, Sravnitel'noe Jazykoznanie I Istorija Jazykov. Reviewed by Schmalstieg, William R., p. 196.
- Hirtle, Number and Inner Space: A Study of Grammatical Number in English. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 205.
- Kachru, The Indianization of English. Reviewed by Jakob, Alexander, p. 208.
- Ayers, English Words from Latin and Greek Elements. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 214.
- Bammesberger, ed., Problems of Old English Lexicography. Studies in Honor of Angus Cameron. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 217.
- Dworkin, Etymology and Derivational Morphology: The Genesis of Old Spanish Denominal Adjectives in '-ido'. Reviewed by Malkiel, Yakov, p. 282.
- Bammesberger, English Etymology. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 301.