Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 28, 1990 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Levin, Saul, "Language Structure Reconsidered: Variation in Sound Without Difference of Meaning," p. 1.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "The Origin of the Eddic Animal Names 'Heiðrún' and 'Eikþyrnir'," p. 32.
- Malone, Joseph L., "The 'Ethical Ablative' Construction in Modern Irish," p. 49.
- Inoue, Toshikazu, "On the Reflex of PIE Syllabic Sonants in Balto-Slavic and Other IE Languages," p. 79.
- Grinaveckis, Vladas, "Relikte des Enklitischen Pronomens -TI in den Mundarten der Litauischen Sprache," p. 87.
- Malone, Joseph L., "On the Global-Phonologic Nature of Classical Irish Alliteration," p. 91.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "Etymological Studies I. Two German Dialectal Words for 'Pig'," p. 104.
- Peeters, Christian L., "Etymological Notes," p. 119.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "Addendum to the Foregoing note on OE teagor," p. 120.
- Levin, Saul, "The Misnomer 'Indo-European Dialects'," p. 159.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "Etymological Studies II. The Etymology of Modern English 'Heifer'," p. 163.
- Tobin, Yishai, "A Semantic Analysis of the Modern Hebrew Interrogatives: eix and keitsad = 'How'," p. 183.
- Malkiel, Yakov & Pavel Sigalov, "Further Thoughts on Daco-Romance and Slavo-Rumanian Words for 'Snow'," p. 245.
- Berman, Ruth A., "Language Knowledge and Language Use: Binominal Constructions in modern Hebrew," p. 261.
- Baldi, Philip, "100 Volumes of the Zeitschrift für Vergleichende Sprachforschung," p. 286.
- Lehmann, A Gothic Etymological Dictionary Based on the Third Edition of Vergleichendes Wörterbuch der Gotischen Sprache by Sigmund Feist. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 58.
- Tomaspol'skij, Obsceromanskij Glagol: Rekonstrukcija Sistemy Okoncanij. Reviewed by Malkiel, Yakov, p. 63.
- Langacker, Foundations of Cognitive Grammar. Vol. I. Theoretical Prerequisites. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 122.
- Pergnier, Le Mot. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 131.
- Geniusiene, The Typology of Reflexes. Reviewed by Schmalstieg, William R., p. 134.
- Zuravlëv, Diaxroniceskaja Fonologija. Reviewed by Schmalstieg, William R., p. 142.
- Page, Runes. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 149.
- Rose, American Translators Association Scholarly Monograph Series, Volume I. Reviewed by Malone, Joseph L., p. 151.
- Frazer, Midland Illinois Dialect Patterns. Reviewed by Seymour, Richard K., p. 153.
- Harris, The Language Machine. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 220.
- Kleiber, Relatives Restrictives et Relatives Appositives: Une Opposition 'Introuvable'? Reviewed by Klingebiel, Kathryn, p. 222.
- Décsy, A Select Catalogue of Language Universals. Reviewed by Aitchison, Jean, p. 227.
- Ehlich, Interjectionen. Reviewed by Paternost, Joseph, p. 228.
- Kubin'ski, Reflexivization in English and Polish: An Arc Pair Grammar Analysis. Reviewed by Wiertlewski, Stefan, p. 236.
- Beard & Szymanek, Bibliography of Morphology 1960-1985. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 240.
- Buck, A Dictionary of Selected Synonyms in the Principle Indo-European Languages. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 243.
- Martin, The Japanese Language Through Time. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 289.
- Gilbert, ed., Pidgin and Creole Languages. Essays in Memory of John E. Reinecke. Reviewed by Polomé, Edgar C., p. 291.
- Hall, ed., Leonard Bloomfield: Essays on His Life and Work. Reviewed by Metcalf, George J., p. 295.
- Taylor, ed., The History of Linguistics in the Classical Period. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 298.
- Dirven & Fried, eds., Functionalism in Linguistics. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 302.