Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 29, 1991 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Orr, Robert, "A Russo-Goidelic Syntactic Parallel: U Nego Svoja Izba Postavlena/tá Sé Déanta Agam," p. 1.
- Paternost, Joseph, "Aspects of Language Variation in Epitaphs in Slovenia," p. 22.
- Wescott, "The Prehistory of the Word 'Blizzard'," p. 41.
- Ambrazas, Vytautas, "Baltic Languages and the Reconstruction of the Indo-European Complex Sentence," p. 52.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "The Gothic Material from the Cemetery at Hács Béndekpuszta," p. 79.
- Malkiel, Yakov, "The Threads Connecting Spanish reñir, riña; Old Spanish reñilla, renzilla; Portuguese ranger, ringir, renhir; and Latin ringi, *ringela," p. 84.
- Jepson, Jill, "The Ontogenesis of Basic Word Order," p. 97.
- Malone, Joseph L., "Geminates, the Obligatory Contour Principle, and Tier Conflation: The Case of Tiberian Hebrew," p. 112.
- Griffen, Toby D., "Nostratic and Germano-European," p. 139.
- Arnovick, L., "The 'Wallis Rules' as Speech Act Prescriptions: An Illocutionary Re-Evaluation," p. 150.
- Desclés, Jean-P., "State, Event, Process and Topology," p. 159.
- Peeters, Christian L., "Prospective Germanic Etymologies of English Words," p. 201.
- Levin, Saul, "In What Sense Was Hebrew a Primeval Language?" p. 221.
- Lehmann, Winfred P., "Problems in Proto-Indo-European Grammar: Residues from Pre-Indo-European Active Structure," p. 228.
- Timm, Leonora A., "The Problem of a VP in a VSO Language: Evidence from Breton," p. 247.
- Schmalstieg, William R., "The Genitive Agent vs. the Instrument of Means: an Old Idea Worth Retaining," p. 272.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "Some Observations on Codex Gissensis," p. 276.
- Grinaveckis, Vladas, "Die niederlitauischen Adverbien mit dem Formans -ie," p. 279.
- Mikosch, Die Präpositionen in Gesprochener Sprache. Vorkommen und Funktion Untersucht an Tonbandaufnahmen aus Baden-Würtemberg, Bayerisch-Schwaben und Vorarlberg. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 60.
- Walker, Cuneiform. Reviewed by Greenstein, Edward L., p. 61.
- Donoghue, Style in Old English Poetry: The Test of the Auxiliary. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 64.
- Tajima, The Syntactic Development of the Gerund in Middle English. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 68.
- Sawicki, Verb-Valency in Contemporary Polish. Reviewed by Schmalstieg, William R., p. 76.
- Schmalstieg, A Lithuanian Historical Syntax. Reviewed by Fennell, Trevor S., p. 131.
- Tobin, ed., The Prague School and Its Legacy, in Linguistics, Literature, Semiotics, Folklore, and the Arts. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 133.
- Lloyd & Springer, Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Althochdeutschen. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 135.
- Lloyd, Purdy, & Springer, Wörterverzeichnisse zu dem Etymologischen Wörterbuch des Althochdeutschen. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 135.
- Mayrhofer, Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 206.
- Décsy, Statistical Report on the Languages of the World as of 1985. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 209.
- Renfrew, Archeology and Language. The Puzzle of Indo-European Origins. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 213.
- Wanner, The Development of Romance Clitic Pronouns: From Latin to Old Romance. Reviewed by Dworkin, Steven N., p. 216.
- Malkiel, A Tentative Autobibliography. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 222.
- Kenkyuu, Studia Celtica Japonica. Reviewed by Malone, Joseph L., p. 282.
- Kane, The Sino-Jurchen Vocabulary of the Bureau of Interpreters. Reviewed by Krippes, Karl A., p. 286.