Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 31, 1993 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Levin, Saul, "@Qesmofóros@ = legifera? The Import of the Primeval Thesmophoria," p. 1.
- Lendinara, Patrizia, "Frisian Windows," p. 13.
- Malone, Joseph L., "Semantic and Pragmatic Properties of Japanese Double Negation," p. 16.
- Bauer, Ivan, "Zagreb Kajkavian: A Summary of Distinctive Characteristics," p. 26.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "German Ringelnatter: A Disputed Etymology," p. 33.
- Swiggers, P., "Algonquian at the Linguistics Institutes (1937-1940): Carl Voegelin's Impressions," p. 63.
- Malkiel, Yakov & Edward F. Tuttle, "Contrasting Patterns of Growth of the Latin Suffix -ities in Italo- and Hispano-Romance," p. 67.
- Lehmann, Winfred P., "Residues in the Early Slavic Numeral System that Clarify the Development of the Indo-European System," p. 131.
- Krippes, Karl A., "A Linguistic Enigma, the Altaic Numerals," p. 141.
- Vrabie, Emil, "New and Revised Romanian Etymologies," p. 153.
- Orr, Robert, "More on Embryonic Ergativity," p. 163.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "The Vowel of the Gothic Reduplicating Syllable," p. 177.
- Peeters, Christian L., "Gothic hafanana," p. 181.
- Ludwig & Ebneter, Die Deutschen Mundarten im Schams. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 35.
- Senner, The Origins of Writing. Reviewed by Malone, Joseph L., p. 40.
- Amsler, Etymology and Grammatical Discourse in Late Antiquity and the Early Middle Ages. Reviewed by Taylor, Daniel J., p. 43.
- Hall, A Life for Language: A Biographical Memoir of Leonard Bloomfield. Reviewed by Metcalf, George J., p. 53.
- Pulgram, Practicing Linguist: Essays on Language and Languages. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 55.
- Darnell, Edward Sapir. Linguist, Anthropologist, Humanist. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 101.
- Seebold, Etymologisches Wörterbuch der Deutschen Sprache. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 109.
- Bammesberger, Die Morphologie des Urgermanischen Nomens. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 117.
- Fox, The Structure of German. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 121.
- Russ, The Dialects of Modern German: A Linguistic Survey. Reviewed by Seymour, Richard K., p. 123.
- Bubenik, Hellenistic and Roman Greece as a Sociolinguistic Area. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 126.
- Barr, The Variable Spellings of the Hebrew Bible. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 183.
- Siller-Runggaldier, Grödnerische Wortbildung. Reviewed by Malkiel, Yakov, p. 190.
- Suzuki, The Morphosyntax of Detransitive Suffixes -þ- and -n- in Gothic. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 207.
- Jakobson, On Language. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 210.
- Matzel, Gesammelte Schriften. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 212.
- Pfeifer, Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Deutschen. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 213.
- Baldi, Linguistic Change and Reconstruction. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 217.
- Bright, International Encyclopedia of Linguistics. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 229.
- Görlach, Introduction to Early Modern English. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 229.
- Lehmann & Hewitt, eds., Language Typology 1988: Typological Models in Reconstruction. Reviewed by Malone, Joseph L., p. 230.