Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 32, 1994 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Levin, Saul, "Studies in Comparative Grammar I. The Definite Article, an Egyptian/Semitic/Indo-European Etymology," p. 1.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "Etymological Studies IV. The 'Dregs' of English Etymology," p. 16.
- Malone, Joseph L., "Diachronic-Synchronic Dystony: A Case from Classical Mandaic," p. 36.
- Barri, Nimrod, "How Many Albanian Cases? An Exercise in Syntactic Morphology," p. 58.
- Liberman, Anatoly, "Etymological Studies V. Some English Words Related to Sex and Prostitution," p. 71.
- Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., "Some Remarks on the Life of Bishop Wulfila," p. 95.
- Vrabie, Emil, "Slavic Influence on Romanian: A Case of Exaggeration," p. 105.
- Levin, Saul, "Studies in Comparative Grammar II. The Prehistory of the Indo-European Thematic Declension, in View of the Semitic Cognates," p. 111.
- Jokweni, Mbulelo, "English and Afrikaans Loanwords in Xhosa," p. 199.
- Lendinara, Patrizia, "Wulfila as the Inventor of the Gothic Alphabet: the Tradition in Late Antiquity and the Middle Ages," p. 217.
- Kamber, Gerald, "A Proposed Etymology for Fr. fraise," p. 226.
- Malkiel, Diachronic Problems in Phonosymbolism. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 67.
- Lamb & Mitchell, Sprung from Some Common Source: Investigations into the Prehistory of Languages. Reviewed by Hoenigswald, Henry M., p. 145.
- Arnovik, The Development of Future Constructions in English: The Pragmatics of Modal and Temporal Will and Shall in Middle English. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 151.
- Boltz & Shapiro, Studies in the Historical Phonology of Asian Languages. Reviewed by Krippes, Karl A., p. 157.
- Cosijn, Notes on Beowulf. Reviewed by Bender, M. Lionel, p. 178.
- Furtado & Pheby et al., eds., The Oxford-Duden Pictorial Portuguese and English Dictionary. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 239.
- Malone, Tiberian Hebrew Phonology. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 240.
- Cannon, The Life and Mind of Oriental Jones. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 242.
- Fife & Poppe, eds., Studies in Brythonic Word Order. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 244.
- MacAulay, ed., The Celtic Languages. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 256.
- Price, ed., The Celtic Connection. Reviewed by Thomson, Robert L., p. 256.
- Hassanein & Abdou, The Concise Arabic-English Lexicon of Verbs in Context. Reviewed by Kaye, Alan S., p. 258.