Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 34, 1996 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Landsberg, Marge E., "On Some Principles of Serialization Underlying Linguistic Freezes," p. 1.
- Takács, Gábor, "Egyptian *g3, *gn, *g3, *gn and *qd 'to be round'," p. 44.
- Fellman, Jack, "History of the Hebrew Language: A Sociolinguistic Perspective," p. 67.
- Levin, Saul, "Studies in Comparative Grammar: III. 'Snow', An Early Indo-European Loan-Word in Semitic," p. 77.
- Field, Fred, "Caught in the Middle: The Case of Pocho and the Mixed Language Continuum," p. 85.
- Krippes, Karl A., "Russian Loan-Words and Orthography in the Post-Soviet Turkic Languages," p. 107.
- Lehmann, Winfred P., "Ernst A. Ebbinghaus: A Statement on His Scholarly Career," p. 117.
- Huld, Martin E., "A Sirius Eye on Indo-European Gambling: Albanian SYˆ," p. 129.
- Krippes, Karl A., "Russian Code-Switching in Colloquial Uzbek, Kazakh, Kyrgyz," p. 139.
- Cutts, Stephen P., "The Germanic /h/ in French," p. 145.
- Lehmann, Winfred P., "The Interplay of OV and VO Patterning in Grammaticalization," p. 175.
- Schmalstieg, William R., "A Note on Possible Parallel Development of Certain Germanic and Baltic Verbs with the Suffix *-n-," p. 191.
- Goblirsch, Kurt Gustav, "A Comparative Study of the Scandanavian Consonant Shift," p. 195.
- Scardigli, Piergiuseppe, "Johannes Hoops als Philologe und Begründer des Realflexions der Germanischen Altertumskunde," p. 203.
- Baldi, Philip, "Some Thoughts on Latin Rhotacism," p. 209.
- Snaedal, Magnús, "One Marginal Gloss Becomes TWO," p. 217.
- Levin, Saul, "Linguistic Anecdotes from the Childhood of Ernst Ebbinghaus," p. 220.
- Gallée, Altsächsische Grammatik. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 55.
- Makkai, Ecolinguistics: Toward a New **Paradigm** for the Science of Language? Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 57.
- Klein, On Verbal Accentuation in the Rigveda. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 61.
- Moulin-Fankhänel, Bibliographie der Deutschen Grammatiken und Orthographielehren I. Reviewed by Müller-Gotama, Franz, p. 125.
- Fox, Linguistic Reconstruction. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 126.
- Hamp et al., eds., Readings in Linguistics I. and II. Reviewed by Ebbinghaus, Ernst A., p. 126.
- Sekiguchi, Deutsche Präpositionen. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 127.
- Lehmann, Theoretical Bases of Indo-European Linguistics. Reviewed by Zgusta, Ladislav, p. 221.
- Smith, Second Language Learning: Theoretical Foundations. Reviewed by Waltz, Heidi, p. 226.
- Lipski, Latin American Spanish. Reviewed by Field, Fred, p. 228.
- Devine & Stephens, The Prosody of Greek Speech. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 235.
- Brekle et al., eds., Bio-Bibliographisches Handbuch zur Sprachwissenschaft des 18. Jahrhunderts. Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 246.
- Kerswill, Dialects Converging: Rural Speech in Urban Norway. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 252.
- Ritt, Quantity Adjustment. Vowel Lengthening and Shortening in Early Middle English. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 254.
- Luelsdorff, ed., The Prague School of Structural and Functional Linguistics. A Short Introduction. Reviewed by Liberman, Anatoly, p. 259.