Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 36, 1999 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Malone, Joseph L., "Suffix Metathesis and Phonological Change in Classical Mandaic," p. 1.
- Griffin, Toby D., "Pitch Stress and Vowel Reduction," p. 17.
- Bengtson, John D., "Caucasian and Sino-Tibetan: A Hypothesis of S. A. Starostin," p. 33.
- Abraham, Richard D., "Exodus 3:14-15 and Portuguese Syntax," p. 51.
- Oaks, Dallin D., "Historical Roots of Structural Ambiguities in English: A Survey of Some Selected Grammatical Features," p. 59.
- Stagich, Tim, "Cultural Context and Meaning in Foreign Language Learning," p. 71.
- Fellman, Jack, "Semitic Sociolinguistic Surveys: The Ethiopian Case," p. 81.
- Müller-Gotama, Franz, "Clause Structure in Classical Malay," p. 89.
- Boldyrev, Nikolai, "On Functional Categorization and the Prototype Structure of Verbal Classes," p. 101.
- Peeters, Christian L., "On Germanic Etymology," p. 117.
- Shields, Kenneth, Jr., "The 'New Image' of Indo-European Morphology and the Origin of 2nd Plural Deponent-Passive -mini," p. 131.
- Krippes, Karl A., "The Resurgence of Arabo-Persian Vocabulary in Post-Soviet Uzbekistan," p. 141.
- Takács, Gábor, "Refining some Etymologies of the Root 'round' in Afrasian and Egyptian (a return to the Discussion in GL 34/1, 1994)," p. 153.
- Levin, Saul, "Studies in Comparative Grammar: IV. Egyptian hnty 'in front of': Hittite hanti; Latin antiqvei: Hebrew/Aramaic ?attiyqey 'old'," p. 167.
- Griffin, Toby D., "A Dynamic Approach to Bartholomae's and Grassmann's Laws," p. 205.
- Malone, Joseph L., "Metathesis and Antiwedging in Classical Mandaic," p. 227.
- Levin, Saul, "What Does Cognate Mean? In Reply to Alan Kaye and Other Reviewers of Semitic and Indo-European: The Principal Etymologies," p. 257.
- Hodge, Carleton T., "Some Hebrew hapax legomena," p. 271.
- Daniels & Bright, The World's Writing Systems. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 119.
- West, The East Face of Helicon: West Asiatic Elements in Greek Poetry and Myth. Reviewed by Brown, John Pairman, p. 179.
- Levin, Semitic and Indo-European: The Principal Etymologies. Reviewed by Kaye, Alan S., p. 187.
- Mair, The Bronze Age and Early Iron Age Peoples of Eastern Central Asia. Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 297.
- Woodard, Greek Writing from Knossos to Homer: A Linguistic Interpretation of the Origin of the Greek Alphabet and the Continuity of Ancient Greek Literacy. Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 303.