Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 39, 2002 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Morin, Regina, "The Validity of Nonce Data from Experimental Data in Empirical Linguistic Research," p. 1.
- Zimmer, Stefan, "A Problem of Proto-Indo-European Glottogenesis," p. 25.
- Renfrew, Colin, ed., America Past - America Present. Genes and Languages in the Americas and Beyond (2000). Reviewed by Forster, Peter, p. 65.
- Dolgopolsky, Aharon, The Nostratic Macrofamily and Linguistic Palaeontology (1998). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 67.
- Renfrew, Colin & Daniel Nettle, eds., Nostratic: Examining a Linguistic Macrofamily (1999). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 73.
REVIEWS: Language Families
- Olsen, Birgit Anette, The Noun in Biblical Armenian. Origin and Word Formation - With Special Emphasis on the Indo-European Heritage (1999). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 83.
- Bubenik, Vit, A Historical Syntax of Late Middle Indo-Aryan (apabhramshá) (1998). Reviewed by Klein, Jared, p. 87.
- Hombert, Jean-Marie & Larry M. Hyman, eds., Bantu Historical Linguistics. Theoretical and Empirical Perspectives (1999). Reviewed by Bickmore, Lee, p. 91.
- Heine, Bernd & Derek Nurse, eds., African Languages. An Introduction (2000). Reviewed by Schuh, Russell G., p. 97.
- Fernald, Theodore B. & Paul R. Platero, eds., The Athabaskan Languages. Perspectives on a Native American Language Family (2000). Reviewed by Bickmore, Lee, p. 103.
REVIEWS: Language Histories
- Lass, Roger, ed., Cambridge History of the English Language (vol. 3: 1476-1776) (1999). Reviewed by Odlin, Terence, p. 110.
- Taatvitsainen, Irma, Nevalainen Terttu, Päivi Pahta, & Matti Rissanen, Placing Middle English in Context (2000). Reviewed by Mosser, Daniel W., p. 113.
REVIEWS: Language Structures
- Gvozdanovich, Jadranka, ed., Numeral Types and Changes Worldwide (1999). Reviewed by Blažek, Václav, p. 123.
- Diessel, Holger, ed., Demonstratives. Form, Function and Grammaticalization (1999). Reviewed by Cysouw, Michael, p. 135.
- Dickey, Stephen M., Parameters of Slavic Aspect. A Cognitive Approach (2000). Reviewed by Janda, Laura A., p. 140.
- Polomé, Edgar C. & Carol F. Justus, eds., Language Change and Variation in Honor of Winfred P. Lehmann on the Occasion of his 83rd Birthday (vol. I & II) (1999). Reviewed by Levin, Saul, p. 143.
- Müller, Nicole, Agents in Early Welsh and Early Irish (1999). Reviewed by Russell, Paul, p. 145.
- Willis, David W. E., Syntactic Change in Welsh. A Study of the Loss of Verb-second (1998). Reviewed by Poppe, Erich, p. 147.
- Hardcastle, William J. & Nigel Hewlett, eds., Coarticulation. Theory, Data and Techniques (1999). Reviewed by Smith, Caroline L., p. 151.
REVIEWS: Theoretical Approaches
- Reiter, Ehud & Robert Dale, Building Natural Language Generation Systems (2000). Reviewed by Harris, Mary Dee, p. 155.
- McMahon, April, Change, Chance, and Optimality (2000). Reviewed by Ringe, Donald, p. 156.
- Goldsmith, John A., ed., Phonological Theory. The Essential Readings (1999). Reviewed by Buckley, Eugene, p. 160.
- Blank, Andreas & Peter Koch, eds., Historical Semantics and Cognition (1999). Reviewed by Stefanowitsch, Anatol, p. 163.
- Schönwitz, Thomas, Geschlechtsspezifische Variation im 'Southern American English'. Eine soziolinguistische Auswertung der Daten des Linguistic Atlas of the Gulf States (1999). Reviewed by Diensberg, Bernhard, p. 165.