Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 42, 2004 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Wang, Penglin (Central Washington University, Ellensburg), "Cognitive Correlation between the Number 'Three' and Third Person Pronouns," p. 1.
- Justus, Carol F. (University of Texas at Austin), "Language and the Rise of a Base for Counting," p. 17.
- Slocum, Jonathan & Douglas Simms (University of Texas at Austin), "Going Online: Problems and Solutions for Indo-Europeanists and Other Linguists," p. 44.
- Lehmann, Winfred P. (University of Texas at Austin), "American Linguistics and Generative Grammar Today," p. 61.
- Justus, Carol F. (University of Texas at Austin), "Grammar in a Hittite Dictionary," p. 73.
- Schmidt, Karl Horst (University of Bonn, Germany), "Pre-Indo-European Grammar," p. 89.
REVIEWS: Language History & Change
- Aitchison, Jean, Language Change: Progress or Decay (2001). Reviewed by Beckwith, Miles, p. 110.
- Sihler, Andrew L., Language History. An Introduction (2000). Reviewed by Beckwith, Miles, p. 112.
- Deutscher, Guy, Syntactic Change in Akkadian. The Evolution of Sentential Complementation (2000). Reviewed by Bubenik, Vit, p. 115.
- Tulpule, Shankar Gopal & Anne Feldhaus, A Dictionary of Old Marathi (2000). Reviewed by Despande, Madhav, p. 120.
- Mayrhofer, Manfred, Etymologisches Wörterbuch des Altindoarischen (vol. II & Vol III, fascicles 21-31, 1996 & 1997-2001). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 122.
- Drews, Robert, ed., Greater Anatolia and the Indo-Hittite Language Family (2001). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 124.
REVIEWS: Language Structures
- Carling, Gerd, Die Funktionen der lokalen Kasus im Tocharischen (2000). Reviewed by Adams, Douglas Q., p. 132.
- Vogel, Petra M. & Bernard Comrie, eds., Approaches to the Typology of Word Classes (2000). Reviewed by Beck, David, p. 135.
- Corbett, Greville G., Number (2000). Reviewed by Frajzyngier, Zygmunt, p. 139.
- Bauer, Brigitte, Archaic Syntax in Indo-European. The Spread of Transitivity in Latin and French (2000). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 144.
- Haspelmath, Martin, Indefinite Pronouns (2000). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 151.
- Chen, Matthew Y., Tone Sandhi. Patterns across Chinese Dialects (2000). Reviewed by Lin, Yen-Hwei, p. 154.
- Dahl, Östen, ed., Tense and Aspect in the Languages of Europe (2000). Reviewed by Olbertz, Hella, p. 158.
- Krug, Manfred G., ed., Emerging English Modals. A Corpus-based Study of Grammaticalization (2000). Reviewed by Palmer, F. R., p. 165.
- Aikhenvald, Alexandra Y., Classifiers. A Typology of Noun Categorization Devices (2000). Reviewed by Stump, Gregory, p. 168.
- Senft, Gunter, Systems of Nominal Classification (2000). Reviewed by Stump, Gregory, p. 172.
REVIEWS: Theoretical Approaches
- Broe, Michael & Janet Pierrehumbert, Papers in Laboratory Phonology V (2000). Reviewed by Bernhardt, Barbara, p. 177.
- Baltin, Mark & Chris Collins, eds., The Handbook of Contemporary Syntactic Theory (2000). Reviewed by Carnie, Andrew, p. 182.
- Lockwood, David G., Peter H. Fries, & James E. Copeland, eds., Functional Approaches to Language, Culture and Cognition. Papers in Honor of Sydney M. Lamb (2000). Reviewed by Genee, Inge, p. 185.
- Bermúdez-Otero, Ricardo, David Denison, Richard M. Hogg, & C. B. McCully, eds., Generative Theory and Corpus Studies. A Dialogue from 10 Icehl (2000). Reviewed by Koopman, Willem, p. 188.
- Matthews, Peter, A Short History of Structural Linguistics (2001). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 191.
- Raimy, Erik, The Phonology and Morphology of Reduplication (2000). Reviewed by Lieber, Rochelle, p. 195.
- Nettle, Daniel & Suzanne Romaine, Vanishing Voices. The Extinction of the World's Languages (2000). Reviewed by Orr, Robert, p. 200.