Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Volume 43, 2005 
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. At present, the General Linguistics online index
includes volumes 24 (1986 ) through 43 (2005 ). It
is possible that earlier volumes may be indexed, in the future,
but higher priority will be given to indexing later volumes as
they are published and time & resources permit.
- Atoye, Raphael O. (Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-Ife, Nigeria), "Language Recognition from Nonsegmental Cues: Evidence from Non-instrumental Data," p. 1.
- Köhler, Dirk (University College Dublin), "Diminutive im Deutschen und ihre Entsprechung im Hiberno-Englischen," p. 15.
- Thomson, Karen (University of Edinburgh), "Why the Rigveda Remains Undeciphered: The Example of purolâ´ç," p. 39.
- Yanko, Tanya (Institute of Linguistics, Moscow), "Russian Numerals with Nouns Denoting Human Beings," p. 61.
- Zavaroni, Aldolfo (Reggio Emilia, Italy), "The Camunic Inscriptions: a Phonological Framework," p. 87.
- Janson, Tore (University of Stockholm), "Sociophilology: A Nascent Discipline? (on Roger Wright)," p. 107.
- Huld, Martin E. (California State University, Los Angeles), "Can We Go beyond Proto-Indo-European? (on Joseph Greenberg)," p. 113.
- Justus, Carol F., "Indo-European Prehistory and Language Change (on Jay Jasanoff)," p. 125.
REVIEWS: Language & Linguistic History
- Antonsen, Elmer H., Runes and Germanic Linguistics (Mouton de Gruyter 2002). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 155.
- Law, Vivien, The History of Linguistics in Europe. From Plato to 1600 (Cambridge 2003). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 158.
- Olmsted, Garrett S., A Definitive Reconstructed Text of the Coligny Calendar (JIES Monograph 39, 2001). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 163.
- Penny, Ralph, A History of the Spanish Language (Cambridge 2002). Reviewed by Wright, Roger, p. 166.
- Richards, Ronald O., The Pannonian Slavic Dialect of the Common Slavic Proto-Language: The View from Old Hungarian (UCLA IE Program 2003). Reviewed by Danylenko, Andriy, p. 169.
- Shevoroshkin, Vitaly & Paul Sidwell (eds.), Anatolian Languages (Canberra 2002). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 174.
REVIEWS: Language Structures
- Dixon, Robert M. W. & Alexandra Y. Aikhenvald, The Amazonian Languages (Cambridge 1999). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 179.
- Dixon, Robert M. W. & Alexandra Y. Aikhenwald, eds., Word. A Cross-Linguistic Typology (Cambridge 2002). Reviewed by Luraghi, Silvia, p. 182.
- Filppula, Markku, The Grammar of Irish English: Language in Hibernian Style (Routledge1999). . Reviewed by Sé, Diarmuid Ó, p. 188.
- Heine, Bernd & Tania Kuteva, World Lexicon of Grammaticalization (Cambridge 2002). Reviewed by Matasovic, Ranko, p. 193.
- Johanson, Lars & Bo Utas, eds., Evidentials. Turkic, Iranian and Neighbouring Languages (Mouton de Gruyter 2000). Reviewed by Kara, Gyory, p. 196.
- Krishnamurti, Bhadriraju, The Dravidian Languages (Cambridge 2003). Reviewed by Lehmann, Winfred P., p. 201.
- Zeilfelder, Susanne, Hethitisches Übungsbuch (Dresden 2003). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 206.
REVIEWS: Theoretical Approaches
- Maurais, Jacques & Michael A. Morris, eds., Languages in a Globalising World (Cambridge 2003). Reviewed by Danylenko, Andriy, p. 212.
- Meier-Brügger, Michael, Indo-European Linguistics (Walter de Gruyter 2003). Reviewed by Justus, Carol F., p. 215.