Hans C. Boas, Director :: PCL 5.556, 1 University Station S5490 :: Austin, TX 78712 :: 512-471-4566
Table of Contents
Journal of Indo-European Studies
Volume 33, 2005
Articles are listed in page order, followed by reviews (if
any). The creator of this new Table of Contents has attempted
to "standardize" author names (e.g., by providing first names
where only initials appeared); corrections are welcome.
N.B. Our Journal of Indo-European Studies online index
includes volumes 1 (1973) through 38 (2010). When we began
publishing our index, JIES maintained no index of its
own; but now that JIES has begun publishing an index, we
anticipate that volume 38 will be the last in our series.
- Philips, Dennis, "From PIE *(s)kel- 'to cut' to Germanic and Baltic *(s)kel- 'to owe': An hypothesis based on the concept of 'notional chronology'," p. 1.
- Kloekhorst, Alwin, "Hittite hāpūša(šš)- (formerly known as hapuš- 'penis')," p. 27.
- Sayers, William, "Róimid Rígóinmit, Royal Fool: Onomastics and Cultural Valence," p. 41.
- Huld, Martin E., "Albanian akull and Indo-European 'water'," p. 53.
- Blazhek, Václav, "HIC ERANT LEONES: Indo-European 'lion' et alii," p. 63.
- Gurshtein, Alexande A., "Did the Pre-Indo-Europeans Influence the Formation of the Western Zodiac?" p. 103.
- Adams, Douglas Q., "Tocharian B traksim 'Grains' and an Indo-European Word for 'Berry'," p. 219.
- Zimmer, Stefan, "Indo-European Poetics and Mythology. Old Irish lámfada 'longhand', its Background and Parallels," p. 219.
- Drews, Robert, "The Laurion Mines and a Bronze Age Name for the Greek Mainland," p. 227.
- Halla-aho, Jussi, "Two Borrowings in Proto-Slavic, and a Minor Balto-Slavic Sound Change," p. 233.
- Vine, Brent, "Remarks on Rix's Law in Greek," p. 247.
- Bengtson, John D. & Václav Blazhek, "Sergei Anatolyevich Starostin (March 24, 1953 - September 30, 2005)," p. 307.
- Slocum, Jonathan, "Early Indo-European Online (EIEOL): Ancient Language Lessons in Web Page Form," p. 314.
- Kuznetsov, P., "An Indo-Iranian Symbol of Power in the Earliest Steppe Kurgans," p. 325.
- Telegin, D. Ya., "The Yamna Culture and the Indo-European Homeland Problem," p. 339.
- Facchetti, Giulio M., "The Interpretation of Etruscan Texts and its Limits," p. 359.
- Drews, Robert, Early Riders: The beginnings of mounted warfare in Asia and Europe (2004). Reviewed by Jones-Bley, Karlene, p. 151.
- Jones-Bley, Karlene & D. G. Zdanovich, eds., Complex Societies of Central Eurasia from the 3rd to the 1st Millennium BC [= JIES Monograph 45 & 46] (2002). Reviewed by Mallory, James P., p. 159.
- Jasanoff, Jay, Hittite and the Indo-European Verb (2003). Reviewed by Drinka, Bridget, p. 169.
- Haug, Dag, Les phases de l'evolution de la langue épique. Trois études; de linguistique homérique [= Hypomnemata 142. Untersuchungen zur Antike und ze ihrem Nachleben] (2002). Reviewed by Hewson, John, p. 180.
- Baldi, Philip & Pietro U. Dini, ed., Studies in Baltic and Indo-European Linguistics in Honor of William R. Schmalstieg (2004). Reviewed by Petit, Daniel, p. 186.
- Stuart-Smith, Jane, Phonetics and Philology: Sound Change in Italic. (2004). Reviewed by Beckwith, Miles C., p. 196.
- Lambert, Pierre-Yves, ed., Recueil des inscriptions gauloises II/2. Textes gallo-latins sur instrumentum [XLVe supplement à "Gallia"] (2001). Reviewed by Eska, Joseph F., p. 201.
- Colarusso, John (assembly, translation, and annotation), Nart Sagas from the Caucasus (2002). Reviewed by Wilson, Mary Lynn, p. 209.
- Hochroth, Lisa (translator), Mother of the Gods: From Cybele to the Virgin Mary (2004). Reviewed by Wilson, Mary Lynn, p. 214.
- Settegast, Mary, When Zarathustra Spoke: The Reformation of Neolithic Culture and Religion (2005). Reviewed by Jones-Bley, Karlene, p. 389.
- Therkorn, Linda Lee, Landscaping the Powers of Darkness and Light: 600 BC - 350 AD. Settlement Concerns of Noord-Holland in Wider Perspective (2005). Reviewed by Mallory, James P., p. 395.
- Fortsen, Benjamin W., IV, Indo-European Language and Culture: An Introduction (2004). Reviewed by Dahl, Eystein, p. 398.
- Bauer, Brigitte & Georges-Jean Pinault, eds., Language in Time and Space: A Festschrift for Werner Winter on the Occasion of his 80th Birthday (2003). Reviewed by Orr, Robert, p. 405.
- Miller, Jared L., Studies in the Origins, Development and Interpretation of the Kizzuwatna Rituals (2004). Reviewed by Yakubovich, Ilya, p. 422.
- Krasukhin, Konstantin G., Vvedenie v indoevropejskoe jazykoznanie. Kurs lektsij [Introduction to Indo-European Linguistics: Course Lectures] (2004). Reviewed by Vajda, Edward J., p. 433.
- Heidermanns, Frank, Bibliographie zur indogermanischen Wortforschung. Wortbildung, Etymologie, ... ab 1800 (2005). Reviewed by Zimmer, Stefan, p. 436.
- Woodard, Roger D., ed., The Cambridge Encyclopedia of the World's Ancient Languages (2004). Reviewed by Welo, Eirik, p. 439.
- Stone, Jon R., The Routledge Dictionary of Latin Quotations (2005). Reviewed by Hansen, Leigh Jellison, p. 450.
- Tucker, Aviezer, Our Knowledge of the Past: A Philosophy of Historiography (2004). Reviewed by Megiill, Allan, p. 453.